1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Both Chickens Stopped Laying Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kalim1993, Aug 13, 2010.

1. kalim1993

kalim1993 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Hi im very worried about my hens, i bought them in april when they were about a month old, afterwards they started laying like normal, but now one of them stopped all of a sudden(the slighty lighter one), then about 2 days ago the slighty darker one stopped aswell, I have read on google that it is common for them to stop for a while then start again, but they are very young still.
    Also sometimes I noticed in the hut they lay eggs without shells? only sometimes though.
    Ill post pics off the hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    shellless eggs are normal in the beginning
    remember, theyare young
    its almost like a preteen girl's monthly..err..."cycle"
    its not everytime. it can be very iregular
    dont fret a thing [​IMG]

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Bumping this because I would like to know the answer also. I have a hen that is doing the same thing. She's about a year old, and started laying and stopped ecept for a few eggs without the shells, they look like busted water balloons. I would like for her to lay again.

I will keep my eye on this thread.

Edited to ask: How long have they not laid? My hen hasn't laid an egg for several months, I don't know if it's the heat or what.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. kalim1993

kalim1993 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Thanks for the reply guys, the lighter one hasnt layed a proper egg in over a month, alot of the days nothing, an maybe one shelless egg in a week, today morning the darker has layed a real egg

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are alot of reasons that could cause this. The easiest is the lack of crushed oyster shell to provide them with calcium, you can add it to their feed. Add crushed calcium tablets to their feed as well for a few days. Are you feeding them layer feed? The terrible heat we're having can slow or stop egg production. Do they have access to fresh clean water? Has there been any stressors that could've caused them to stop laying...for example; change of feed, moved to a different coop, lice/mites, picking/pecking each other...do they have enough room in their house? There are more reasons such as diseases,worms etc...but I dont think this is the case. Good luck.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with dawg regarding your new layers... very normal. If they were a month old in April, that means they probably didn't even start laying until very recently, and it takes a while for their systems to get the process down. Offering free choice oyster shell or crushed egg shell should help with that. A spoonful of yogurt as a treat is nice too. Dawg covered other important factors too. That goes for both posters...

7. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Never had shelless eggs but they need more calcium in their diet.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    They both look like they're in fabulous condition. I wish my chickens were as sleek and glossy looking! So I doubt it's anything like worms, lice, mites or pecking stress. Make sure they're getting enough calcium and a good layers feed and then just give them some time to settle into a steady laying pattern.

9. kalim1993

kalim1993 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Quote:thanks for the reply my dad guessed it could be the lack of calcium, yh i can get some oyster shells or crush calcium tablets, They are feed on layer food, the lady at the shop said they help with egg production, when i newly bought them in april, we fed them on chick Starter Crumble, They always have fresh clean water, not changed anything for them or to them. I sometimes notice when one chick finds something to eat the other tends to snatch it away for the other one and run away with it They have enough room in there house as they live in a 7x7ft Summer house.

If they were a month old in April, that means they probably didn't even start laying until very recently,

Yh they started laying at about middle of june

Make sure they're getting enough calcium and a good layers feed and then just give them some time to settle into a steady laying pattern.

They normally use to lay every morning about 9 - 9:30. and yh ill give more calcium in there diets​

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by