Both ducklings wings are bleeding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jods, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jods

jods In the Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Heeeello

We were given two rescue ducklings when they were about 4/5weeks old i put them in a make shift run in the garden during the day (as our duck get the run of the whole walled in garden) so that they could hear each other, get outside ect, then i gradually let them together with the other duck for a couple hours, supervised, and now they have been constantly together and are all sleeping together in a shed (so there's space for them to move away from each other as the normal hutch is smaller).
    But our resident duck (1y+) has not taken kindly to them, originally it was terrified of them and would run and hide:rolleyes:, and naturally the ducklings just wanted to follow, but now the older duck has bucked up some courage and is now pecking and such at the ducklings but particularly the older duckling, and especially in the pond(establishing pecking order?). At one point it took the ducklings wing and thrashed it about :(. So now the ducklings blood (pin) feathers are broken two or three on one side and one on the other, and the bleeding looks quite bad. Also the older resident duck is still pecking at it feathers. They have been together constantly since Tuesday late afternoon and the blood didn't appear till late on yesterday. I tried to have a look today and managed to give it a little clean with some water and patted it with some cornflour.

Just wondering what to do for the ducks best interest?
    The nearest vet is a good bit away, but if that's the best/only option then it would just have to like the car :lol:

Cheers
    Jodie

2. jods

jods In the Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Sorry I should make clear that it is only one of the ducklings whose wings are bleeding, but both wings are

3. firestomp

firestomp Chirping

Jul 28, 2016
    Indianapolis
    that duckling still looks awfully young to me, is the old one a drake? If the bleeding hasn't stopped, put cornstarch on it, if that doesn't work, hold the wing firmly and pull out the broken feather shaft that should stop the bleeding. I would keep them separated until the ducks are older teens at least.

chickens really likes this.
  4. firestomp

firestomp Chirping

Jul 28, 2016
    Indianapolis
    if you happen to have any razor cut blood stop, or quick stop, or even sulfur powder, all of those work great to stop bleeding, It doesn't look like a lot of blood from what I could see of my small picture.

5. jods

jods In the Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Yeah I put cornstarch on it and it has seemed to help, and that profile picture isn't the duckling im talking about, that's actually a picture from a year ago and is the the older one i'm talking about

6. mosse71

mosse71 Songster

Oct 18, 2016
    n. maine
    when i introduced my baby geese to my older ducks, i separated them in the coop w/ 1/4in. hardware cloth til' the geese were about the same size as the ducks. they would sleep next to each other after awhile as they could see each other but the ducks couldn't hurt them. by time i removed the divider they had been best friends for awhile. no aggression at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: