Both eyes closed. Whitish liquid fluid pouring from one eye....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, May 12, 2013.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have a 4ish month pullet who is currently hiding in a laying box with both eyes closed. When I picked her up, I noticed how a white liquid is nearly pouring out of one eye. I'm at a loss at this point.I've seen some things go through my flock. But have never seen anything like this. Opinions?

2. Clackclack

Clackclack Chirping

Apr 20, 2013
    Not an expert, but would guess some sort of eye infection. I would try to rinse out the affected eye with saline in a syringe and apply some eye drops, antibiotic if you have some, otherwise repeat washing and use some soothing eyedrops (for human use will do). If it doesn't get better, you can get a systemic antibiotic, i.e. something you put in the food rather topically in the eye. Check whether maybe something is stuck in the eye (little rock, etc.).

3. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    My thought would have been the same thing, except it's on both eyes, not just one. Before reading your post, I went out with a wet warm cloth and cleaned both eyes. But both sides of the head are showing some inflammation. I've seen birds infected with a CRD of one type or another, but have never seen an issue with both eyes in bad shape.

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Can you see the eye at all?

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I wasn't able to, until I used the hot compress. One of the eyes just looked like it was inflamed too much to comfortably open it. The other was crusted shut. Both eyes now "can" open, but I'm going to go out there in a few minutes to see if she's actually opening them so she can get around.

6. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Okay, this sounds like a sinus infection. What do you have for antibiotics?

7. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have some expired by 5 months Tylan 50, which I'm considering using. Nothing around here is open to buy it until tomorrow. Typically stuff like that doesn't go "bad" so much as it loses effectiveness. So maybe I should use this stuff today, and get fresh stuff tomorrow.

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I was just trying to find my list of the drugs and their 'shelf life' beyond their expiration date. No luck. Do you have a Tractor Supply store near at all? They should be open today. This is what I would do if it were me....I would give the Tylan and I would also use neosporin in the eye itself. You need to make sure it doesn't have any pain killer in it. [Anything in the ingredients with cain or cane as part of the name. You probably already knew that.] As often as you can or think best, wash the eyes as you have already done.

9. TheWeaver

TheWeaver In the Brooder

My birds recently had this and as a novice chicken keeper it was extremely frightening, especially because one got lost with it's eyes swollen completely closed. Took the two girls to the vet and he said it was an avian respiratory infection and shot them up with antibiotics and sent me home with a packet of powder to mix with their water. Blackie the Silkie still gets a bit weepy now and then in this wet and cold weather and has to be dosed once in awhile. But yeah, the vet opened the eyes that had been swollen shut and just..ugh, pus and ew. Poor babies :/

10. Haunted55

Haunted55 Songster

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    If the eye is still there, it's most probably something she is being exposed to, or a sinus infection. You can make your own saline solution by boiling 2 quarts of water, adding in a good pinch of salt...you are aiming for 1/16th of a teaspoon....and a small pinch of baking soda to buffer it and make it less irritating on the eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: