1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Both eyes of my turkeys are swollen from fowl pox and she can't eat or drink

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by hamzaahvalli, Sep 9, 2014.

1. hamzaahvalli

hamzaahvalli Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    My turkeys eyes have both become swollen due to fowl pox which she contacted a week ago. She is now all lethargic and not eating out drinking because she can't see anything in the first place. I would really appreciate help provided in this regard because I am all just jumpy and worried. Thank you all.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If it is Dry Pox, alone (no involvement in oral cavity/esophagus - Wet Pox) she should with a bit of attention to detail, recover fully (bad case of Dry will take ~3-6 weeks to resolve). http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html
    Direct treatment of Dry Pox? Daub betadine, iodine on any Pocks that are open/`weeping' to decrease chance of a secondary infection.

Separate her and keep in small penned area. Place a 2-3 gallon rubber/plastic `hog bowl';, up off of ground with pavers/concrete block and fill to brim with water. At same ht., next to water bowl, place a couple of clean, large planter saucers. Fill one with regular feed, the other for augmenting regular diet. Just make sure feed/water is at about the ht. of turk's chest level (not easy to hop into/tip over).

We used canned corn mixed with torn up grapes/dried meal worms - sometimes crushed hard boiled eggs, in the `diet augmentation saucer (used a white saucer so what could be seen -was - and contrast from food items in saucer was high). Took our two nearly blind toms some hands-on guidance (dipping beaks in food/water) before they could find them, on own, again. Our two were kept in an 8'x 8' chain link kennel when they were the blindest/most vulnerable.

Here's a thread with more info, links to pics - and hopeful outcome:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/816450/sad-looking-narragansetts

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. hamzaahvalli

hamzaahvalli Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Thank You all for your timely replies. Unfortunately, she had passed on today by the time I went to the coop early in the morning. It is sad, but I suppose it's just how it is. Hopefully, this experience will help me the next time. Thank You all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by