1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Both Goat just found dead in pen...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My mom called me a few minutes ago and told me that my dad found both of our goats had been attacked by something during the night. One had been dragged into the woods and half eaten, while the other was still partly alive, but had been attacked and had to be put down. I have no idea what could have done this! We've had these goats for ten years and never had a problem! We figure either a bear or a coyote, but I have no idea how a bear could fit under the fence (Tall wood fence, with square wire around it)

Now we don't know what to do, because it could always come back and take the chickens or even terrorize the horses. My dad would be willing to shoot it, but today it was just way too late.

We loved those poor goats and I'm really going to miss them. They would have been ten this spring.

If you have any advice for us, please let me know! The horses will be closed inside the barn tonight, and there's not much more I can do for the chickens. I've never had anything get inside the coops, as they are pretty secure, but if an animal is really hungry, they will break through anything.

2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    OMG so sorry to hear it.... [​IMG]

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry about the goats - how horrible! Could a big cat have taken the one goat over the top of the fence?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've never seen any large cats around here, though I have heard we have bob cats. However, these goats were HUGE. They were both whethered Nubian males.

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Did they look for tracks? If it was an animal that drug the goat, there should be some tracks somewhere.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Oh, how terrible. I'm so sorry for your losses.

If it were me, I'd be lighting the area with motion floods and setting up a bullet camera fed into my TV.

7. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    So sorry for your loss ! imo it was something really strong, because if a bear couldn't get UNDER your fence, and these goats are big goats, how could something pull THEM both under the fence ? Sounds to me like something strong took them over top the fence. I would say a big cat to, cause you'd THINK a bear would leave damamge to the fence if it climbed over the fence a couple times ... unless it's a REALLY REALLY sturdy strong fence.

Oh, how terrible. I'm so sorry for your losses.

If it were me, I'd be lighting the area with motion floods and setting up a bullet camera fed into my TV.

Hiya Helmstead ! Didn't realize till just now that you're on the forum to [​IMG]

8. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your goats. Coyotes/Coy-dogs have been very close to our barn and it's making VERY Nervous. We heard them calling for the past two nights. So it might have been a Coyotes/Coy-dogs. They seem to be extra bold this year.

9. Bizzy

Bizzy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Zebulon, NC
    What an awful thing to go thru, I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    I agree with everything Julie_in_Pa said. I don't know what kind of predators you have there but it really sounds like a mountain lion to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by