both legs swollen since a little chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by khannalucas, Oct 14, 2013.

1. khannalucas

khannalucas Out Of The Brooder

Hello,
    I didn't find a post on this one. One of my 6 mo old production red hens has swollen legs. Also, her comb is not dark pink like her sister's, it is very pale pink. This little hen is a loner in her flock of 8 assorted hens. She just started laying two weeks ago, and lays one little egg each morning. Is there something I should be worried about? She walks and stands just fine, yet she reminds me of a very old woman with very swollen legs.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    look for a link on magnesium , see if it fits

3. khannalucas

Thank you. I will.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are the legs firm or puffy? There is a condition called osteopetrosis that is a type of leukosis that causes thickening of the leg bones.

5. khannalucas

Thank you for the info. Her legs are firm, not puffy at all.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. khannalucas

Thank you for sennding the link. It makes sense. She came from a hatchery. She is learning her limitations, keeps to herself, doesn't go for long walks with the rest of the flock. I don't plan on raising chicks, just have them (chickens) for eggs and entertainment. This site is very helpful, and I thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by