1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

both my hens were killed last night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peacebird, May 30, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    one ripped apart, the larger not. Feathers everywhere, including some of the roosters own. NO sign of anywhere a predator could have gotten in.

Could my roo have done this?

[​IMG]

the little girls head was missing. the other girl had no noticable marks....

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I doubt it was your roo. Sounds to me like a coon maybe. They are running rampant this time of year with babies to feed. I am So very sorry of your loss. [​IMG] How is the roo acting today? I hope he is not the next victim. Lay a path of flour around the coop. That will show any foot prints of possible predators.

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
  4. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    my poor Roo has been crowing non-stop for hours now... my dear hubby searched everywhere around the coop and found one small opening burrowed. He plans to reinforce/secure the perimeter tonight after work.

I am just sick... poor little creatures....

I will put flour around the outside - should I do that just before bedtime?

5. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    I am soo sorry to hear of your loss...

Sending big hugs your way!

[​IMG] :aww

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I, too, want to say how sorry I am about your chickens. Poor things! So glad your hubby is going to reinforce the perimeter tonight!!! I used to have a coop with a dirt floor and I constantly worried about something digging in. When we built our new coop, the first order of business was a wooden floor!! I sleep much better at night! Is your roo all alone now? I feel so sorry for our animals when they don't understand where their loved ones have gone. Take care. :aww

Ellen

7. CHICKYDEB

CHICKYDEB Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2007
    Phelps, NY
    I too am so sorry for your loss. :aww. I lost one roo and two hens Sunday morning by an unknown attacker. Whatever it was ripped the tale feathers right off another roo, but he survived...shaken and shell shocked. My heart goes out to you.

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Coon. That's what they do, is destroy everything. So sorry.

9. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    thanks for the hugs everyone...

Poor Mario has crowed all morning. He finally stopped just before noon. I think he is exhausted. And now he is all alone again.
    [​IMG]

Hubby is going to install motion sensor lights near the coop in addition to reinforcing the perimeter.

10. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Sorry for your lose. If you found one hole there will be more I don't know if lights are the answer when we lost ours, I suggested that to but the locals around here just laughed and said why you want to give them light. Making sure you have a floor in your coop is the best answer I feel alot better now that my DH has done that. After we lost one of our goslings we rebuilt the coop and put a wooden floor in. The coon came back the next night but couldn't get in. It scared my other goslings for awhile but they finally settled back down. They were very noisey for the first few nights. We have fort Knox now . Micki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by