both my silkies have streamers (insert sad face here)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenbottom, Jan 7, 2010.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    yup cotton and lily both have streamers i wanted cotton to be a boy and now im going to have to find a new home for lily or not so much lily any more
    i need a silkie pullet now. [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

How old are they? Until they are 6 months old, and both of them crow, dont give up hope.

3. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    they turned 11 weeks old yesterday. i know cotton is a boy cause he has a nice sized comb but im really wanted a pullet and a cockerel.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:What do you mean by streamers?

5. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:That is still WAY to young to know anything for sure. Females have been known to have larger combs as well. Do what you want, but I think you should give them at least until 20-24 weeks before you make any judgments. Or at least until they both crow....

6. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:That is still WAY to young to know anything for sure. Females have been known to have larger combs as well. Do what you want, but I think you should give them at least until 20-24 weeks before you make any judgments. Or at least until they both crow....

mmk i will keep lily until 21 weeks and ill post pictures of "it" then. lily is a nonbearded and cotton is a bearded silkie he has a nice sized comb and lily is still flat but has little wattles and she has no redness like cotton does so im hoping lily is a girl i thought streamers indicated cockerels instantly? just thought ide add some more info

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  7. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
  8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:At only 11 weeks, what may appear as streamers, may just be the beginning of their adult feathers coming in.

10. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:At only 11 weeks, what may appear as streamers, may just be the beginning of their adult feathers coming in.

they looks so much like the streamers i see in those pictures i am now calling lily felix lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by