Both of my pekins are female. Do they need a mate to be happy ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tazzy, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Just curious - do pekin ducks need to be partnered with a male to be happy? I bought two straight run pekins and two straight run mallards about six weeks ago, and I'm getting definite quacks from both of my pekins so from what I've read, that means they're both female. Do I need to get two males to round it out, or will they be happy without a pekin mate?

Heck, my two mallards could turn out to be males, who knows! Seriously, if both mallards are male, will they become mates with the female pekins or is that an impossibility in the duck world?

Thanks for any info you guys might have. I searched on this topic but it's so random with the key words I ended up with way more topics than I could read and nothing seemed relevant.

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Do women need men to be happy? :)

I would guess they don't NEED a male, but to have little ducklings they would need one. OK, that first was just a joke. I always tell my hubby that women could be perfectly happy without a male society, we just wouldn't be able to continue our species! (happily married 28 years)

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You only need a male if you want fertile hatching eggs. If you are happy to have wonderful eggs for your kitchen and 2 happy ducks then don't bother with a drake.

4. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    thanks! I appreciate the input. I'm not trying to hatch out ducklings - four messy little/big ducks are quite enough! I love them, but I sure wouldn't want to deal with more duck poop. [​IMG]

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    yes, ducks do not need a drake, and yes if the mallard are males, they will mate with the pekins. Drakes do not look to see if the female is "their kind" of duck. We have 1 Indian runner drake and he mate with our other runners as well as khaki campbells and blue swedish. He is not picky. LOL

6. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Typical males LOL. Seriously though, I have hatched some mallards and some pekins so surely I will get male and female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by