1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bothering my duck

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Fillyelf, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Fillyelf

Fillyelf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Berryville,VA
    About a month ago I purchased 2 turkeys as an impulse. They are now around 4months old. I decided to put them with our ducks. Over all it worked out ok for the first month. But now one of the turkeys is harassing my lame Pekin duck. He chases her and tries to get on her. The other ducks can run from him .A couple of them will even chase him. But poor Abby has trouble running.
    Was it a mistake to put the turkeys in with the ducks? Will my guy become more aggressive to the ducks as he matures?
    I'm thinking I should buy a chain link dog run and house the turkeys elsewhere. Or can I some how teach the turkey to leave Abby alone? (I know how naïve that sounds lol )

2. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that Toms will kill a Chicken trying to mate with it so yes that could be a problem.
    If the duck is lame then that's even more of a problem.
    Most of the time the smaller birds are faster than the Toms and can get away and of course there needs to be room for them to do so.
    If the duck is healing then remove the duck until it is healed and can get away but if its permanently lame then that's your decision what to do.

There maybe a Turkey Whisperer out there that can tell you how to curb a Toms labeto but that would be a new one on me Separation of the Turkeys and Ducks or a new home for the Lame duck.
    In the animal Kingdom wild or tame Injured and sick don't last most of the time unless intervention is taken.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. Fillyelf

Fillyelf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Berryville,VA
    Ok.Thanks for your advice. Yeah Abby is lame for life unfortunately. I'd like to pen the turkeys up at night in their own area but let them range our property in the day. The ducks are in a dog yard separate from the rest of the yard. I'm hoping the turks will leave the ducks alone. Another question, is 1 female enough for the Tom ? Should I get another female?

4. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well the more females he has to contend with the less chance his eyes will wonder to other fowl.
    I have older Chicken Hens that to this day chase the Turkeys off from food from time to time and the Turkeys are 4 times the size of the Chickens [​IMG]
    I have some lawn decorations that belong to my Daughter Polish Chickens and One Peking duck.
    She has fallen in love with there were 12 eggs sent to me to Incubate and only one hatched so you might say lone duck out but was brought up with the Polish and the One Holland White Poult and Buff Orpington Chicks so shes not lonely.
    Heres some pictures of the mix flock.
    When the holland white turkey is full grown I will put him with the Adult Bourbon Reds
    I hope to get some ducks for egg laying they go for $12 a dozen at the health food store.
    All but the Bourbon Reds are near 5 months old the Bourbon Reds ar 16 months old at the end of this month.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by