bottle baby goat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by d1, May 20, 2010.

1. d1

d1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    my nanny stopped nursing her 1 month old kid so I need to start bottle feeding him.any suggestions on how to do this.I have tried opening his mouth and squirting it in from a baby bottle with bigger hole poked in in the nipple and its like he just will not suck on it

2. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    It can be very hard at this age. First thing I'd do is let him get really hungry, it won't hurt him to go a full day w/out eating.

Then back him into something so he can't go backwards, and put his head between your knees, put the nipple in his mouth and squeaze alittle milk into his mouth, 'hopefully' he'll like the taste and w/in a few days will start sucking on his own. If you can't get him sucking you may want to try feeding him out of a bowl.

Why did the mom reject him after so long?

3. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Have you been giving him access to grain? My goat kid started eating grain at a few days old. One of my does, that I got from another breeder, was weaned by about 6 weeks. You should be able to get him by on mostly grain and hay at this point

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Rather than grain I think I would play it a little safer and do the goat pellet route. It is really difficult to get a baby to nurse a bottle after he's been with his mom for a month. In the struggle to get him to drink he could get some to the formula in his lungs and that's another problem that neither you or the baby need.

How is he doing?

5. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    We had a scrub goat kid that couldn't suck when he was born. So we TRIED to nurse him for about two weeks. He refused to suck, or even to swallow regularily!!! So we took turns every few hours squeezing milk into his throat and then waiting for him to swallow! [​IMG] We had to hold him quite firmly because he would bite the bottle, spit it out, and scream! But he did survive! And were we ever glad to put him back with his mom when he was smart enough to suck correctly!
    [​IMG] However, a month is old enough to feed him regular goat feed, so go for that! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. d1

d1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    he is doing fine........just crying alot especially around feeding time and when we walk outside.......he is eating sweet feed,hay and alfalfa and oat pellets..........sometime today something stung/bit him on/around the eye and now its swollen shut however it doesnt feel like it has fever in it or when pushed on it doesnt seem to cause him any pain. gonna go get some antibiotics tommorrow.hope its not pink eye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by