Bottle Baby Goats Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mom2Munchkins, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, 3 weeks ago tomorrow a pygmy doe we adopted had twins. This was our first kidding, and our barn is not heated, nor does it have electricity. And we live in Upstate NY and it was just frigid that night (and most nights since) So being the worry wort that I am, I brought them in the house and they have been bottle fed since. My question is, when will they be old enough to go back to the barn and not be bothered by the cold? Should I keep them in until they're 6 weeks? Any help from anyone who's ever been in a situation like this is much appreciated.

BTW, we named them Daisy and Duke! [​IMG]

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Because you brought them in...you shouldn't take them out until it's a LOT warmer outside (or 6-8 weeks of age). Imagine moving from the Bahamas to Canada. The body of an infant wouldn't adjust well.

Pics?[​IMG]

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Acclimate them; put them outside during the day when it is warmer. If there is a draft-free stall; I would put them there when the low temp is above 40 degrees. I still have 1 in the basement; but it is not because of temperature! [​IMG] They are still goats!

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

The bottle kid goats I got (standard size) were two week old and had been indoors. I moved them outside right away - bedded them in deep straw in a good shelter - and they did fine.

You could just start with putting them out during the day and see how it goes.

A really good option for you might be building a kid warmer for them since they are 'lil goats. http://www.vkvboers.com/Barrel.pdf

ETA
    : I'm in Colorado.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Oh I know, thats what I figured. I mean, they're no trouble, I bought a baby gate/cage and thats their little area. I was just hoping by the time I have a few dozen chicks in here, the goats would be in the barn. Oh well, the more the merrier right??

I'll get pics on in a bit... I'm doing my morning 'chores' and just running by the computer to type. LOL

6. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Also, shoudl they eat grain? I did attept to give them some once but they didn't knwo what to do with it. Just spilled it all over!

7. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Just leave hay and grain available to them all the time...they'll eventually start eating it. It will take them longer because they don't have other goats showing them how...

8. Mom2Munchkins

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Here's some pics. These are from when they were a day old, and the only day I let them walk around the house for a bit. I learned quickly... LOL

Duke is the black male, and Daisy is the tan female.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't mind my goofy girl there. Ohhh that hairdo... EEK
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] They're adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by