Bottle calves.... updates on progress

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Pumpkinpup, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have two heifer calves that I bought today. They both have scours and seem thin. One is coughing some.
    The beefmaster heifer is taking the bottle as well as eating grain and hay. The little blak angus heifer has no clue what the bottle is but is eating a bit of grain and picking at the hay.
    Any advice would be very welcome [​IMG]
    I have raised bottle calves years and years ago but have forgotten about everything. I do recall putting eggs and honey in the milk replacer and that probios is helpful.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Robin, scours in calves are generally a result of their not being giving adequate colostrum from being able/allowed to nurse their mother long enough.

Do you know the person who raised the calves....Ask them how many days of mother's milk the baby had.l

First challenge is to replace the electrolytes asap...Home remedy adding 1/4 cup vinegar 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour to a gallon of water. This replenishes electrolytes lost by scours. At least 1 quart of this mixture should be given to the calf at least once a day. Feed it out of a bottle if possible. If your calf won't take a bottle, add a gallon of the mixture to a gallon of tap water and make this the only water source available to your calf.

Coughing sounds like pneumonia/respiratory may be present.

Keep them in a sheltered area, they need a clean dry barn with walls on at least 3 sides and no drafts. Don't let them go outside in the wet weather.

If you can get to a feed store, get baby bottles if you don't have and then stop scours medicine.

Baby calves with scours need frequent feedings not just 2 a day.

I can help you with goat milk if you decide to go that route.

Here's a good resource:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/ec/ec1418.pdf

and another:
    http://www.uwex.edu/milkquality/pdf/calf_diseases_prevention.pdf

HOw old are the baby calves? You may be able to get milk colostrum as well.

Pm me if you need more info......Good luck....We bought 2 calves from an individual who was a buyer and one died of scours/diarrhea a year ago this time.....We were told all calves go through this as a stress by the broker. This was certainly not true. We are looking for some more to bottle feed but we will buy only directly from the farmer in the future and be sure that the baby gets that needed colostrum.

God bless you and let me know how I can help! I'm so sorry you are going through this.....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Thank you, Nancy. You are a good friend and I respect and value your input [​IMG]

[​IMG] to you and Jacque!

4. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    There are a lot of different treatments for scours and a lot of different causes. In my experience, it's usually stress, or a sudden change in diet. You can probably get medication at the feed store. We always made our own with 4 oz of Sulmet, 4 oz of Pepsto Bismal and a raw egg, all beaten together. Sounds nasty, but we never lost a bottle baby. How old are your girls?

5. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    They are several weeks old. I do not know exactly, the both have some teeth. [​IMG]
    Thank you for the suggestion, Dee. [​IMG] It is appreciated alot.
    I want these two little girls top do well.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    my son and I have raised bottle calves for several years usually 6 at a time..Jerseys..I agree with all the above..we have never had the scours. My son works on the dairy, we get the calves usually at 7-8 days old but..heres the catch..we feed them for at least another two weeks with milk that he brings home from the dairy and we only live 1 mile from the dairy.He also would be the one to feed them while at the dairy and they were used to him..this cut the stress tremendously!! Hope all works out!!

7. You can use SMZ pills to help with the scours .

Try to make sure they are drinking enough and do not dehydrate .

If they are dehydrate you may have to give fluids under the skin such as lactated ringers .

Nuflor helps with the respitory problems such as coughing , not to sure what age they need to be to give this medicine , you might want to call your local vet and see what they would suggest for you to use.

Sometimes vitamins are suggested to use as well.

Fay

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am having difficulty in getting them to drink at all this morning and am very concearned. They are quite thin. I know much of this is due to loss of fluids. I need to get some fluids into them quickly so have called the vet to see if I can get a lactated ringer.

10. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by