1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bottle Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KAKBucks, Aug 1, 2008.

1. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Has anyone thought about building a coop with empty bottles, either plastic or glass?

There are a number of famous structures built with bottles http://www.agilitynut.com/h/otherbh.html

The
    articles mention wood and/or metal framing, but there aren't any real directions on how to do this. I was thinking about empty beer bottles. It would sure take a bunch of bottles, but "collecting" the empty bottles would be quite fun. Guess I need to head to the grocery store! haha

Kendra

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    That would be verrrrry cool.
    [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That is AWESOME. I would totally do that. Maybe not for the chickens, but for another building on this property. Do they cement them together or what?

4. starshrike

starshrike Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Very cool too - It wouldn't work well in California, at least not glass ones :|

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Sweeeet.... maybe I will give this a go next year with all of those beer bottles that accumulate over time [​IMG] HAHAHA

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If I had a bottle coop out here, I'd be afraid water would get in the bottles during the constant drizzle, it would start to mold, and everything would turn into a slimy growing wall of green! Neat idea though.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    There is a house built in the 1940's in Kaleva Michigan with over 60,000 wine bottles. If you check on wikipedia or at www.agilitynut.com/h/otherbh.html you will find several examples that may give you some hints on how to get started. If you built a coop from wine bottles that you emptied, and the time spent emptying them was short enough you could come up with something rather unique or maybe just something. Good Luck [​IMG][/img]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    How cool are those houses?!?! I could see my 12 year old building something like that. He loves to put things together! Boy that would take a whole lot of bottles though. That would also be a cool idea for a children's clubhouse. [​IMG]

9. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    hmmmm definantly somethin to think about in the future

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    You could have people in your area donate bottles for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by