Bottle fed baby goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Julianna123, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Julianna123

Julianna123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Miami FL
    hi:) I recently bought a month old nigerian doeling. I have been bottle feeding her:) when I got her she had been eating from her mom. I'm now feeding her whole milk. ( I'm going to start feeding her whole milk mixed with evaporated goat milk) so I have a tendency to worry when nothing's actually wrong, but she's been making like popping noises when she breathes and after that she'll start chewing or something. Her stomach is round and firm (it made some noises earlier) and I'm not sure if she's been digesting properly. She seems healthy herself ( the usual jumping and begging for food) am I worrying for nothing?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. Julianna123

Julianna123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Miami FL
    Thanks so much for everything!!!!! I really appreciate it:) now that I think of it, she is digesting just fine:) what I'm mainly worried about is that she's breathing kind of fast (when she's asleep) and her breath smells a bit bad:/ she's acting normal otherwise...

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You're welcome. :)

The breath should not smell bad though, that can indicate a variety of problems. If you can get hold of raspberry leaf, either green and raw or dried from a health food shop for example, this is great at disinfecting their guts; you can feed it straight or make it into a tea and let them drink that, or nibble the drained leaves the tea was made from.

My last bottle fed baby had a horribly infected gut from contamination by the time I got her, and had horrible breath because of it, and a heck of a lot of health problems too; luckily I had access to both raw and dried raspberry leaf which cleaned her up really well. It's also used to prevent septic issues in females with reproductive tract issues, there's been scientific studies done on it too, it's shifted beyond 'just another old wives tale'. (These 'old wives' were right about a surprising amount of things lol).

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by