Bottle feeding baby goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farm n louisana, Feb 18, 2014.

1. farm n louisana

farm n louisana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    My 2 lil girls goats need to be bottle feed I was going to sell them when there where old enough if they didn't need to be bottle feed now I have people asking to buy them as bottle babies what are so questions to ask I'm kinda of scared to sell them as bottle babies bc idk If the person would feed them right last time I had bottle baby I keep them as pets n we still have him he's my weather male n is the most friendly goat I have he acts more like a dog them a goat

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    OK, just trying to clarify what I think you are trying to ask. Because the goats are bottle babies, and people are asking to buy them as bottle babies, you want to know what questions to ask potential buyers? Is that what you are asking in your post?

Ask if they either currently own goats, or have owned goats. Have they ever raised bottle kids? Are they willing to adhere to a regular bottle feeding schedule until the kid is old enough to wean (8 weeks is earliest recommended, but 12 weeks is better)?

Ask them about how they are going to house the goats. Are they just going to toss the bottle kids in with their regular herd (yes,a breeder I talked to had this happen to kids they sold)? Are they going to keep them separate until they can safely interact with other goats owned? Ask bout their husbandry and care schedule, such as for vaccinations and if they know how to hoof trim (if not, teach them if you sell them the kids).

Hopefully you can weed out the flaky buyers, or those who you think won't be a good match for your kids. People who have never owned goats before can be great new owners, by the way. Just be sure to guide them, and make sure they've done all their homework before allowing your kids to go home with them.

Do not sell bottle kids who are not bottle feeding well. Make sure they are latching and eating with NO PROBLEMS before allowing them to leave. Some kids are slower learners than others, so it might take longer if that is the case. The worst thing you can do as a seller is send off a kid who doesn't take the bottle easily, leading to frustration and possibly health problems for the new owners to deal with.

2 people like this.
  3. farm n louisana

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    K thanks I really think I'm just gonna bottle feed them n then sell then

4. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Great info Stacykins. I have a list of questions that I ask possible buyers as well. It's nice to know that the goat you have worked hard to raise and care for will go to a responsible home. Some folks that come by just make me shake my head; unfortunate, but it happens. : /

I had bottle baby kids for the first time last year. The possibility of selling them as bottle babies came up, but I said forget it. There are enough bottle babies out there for folks to choose from. I'd rather raise 'em myself then let folks who are serious about keeping goats come buy them. I'm afraid there may be too many who will see an adorable 'orphan' kid that needs to be raised, then when it grows up, it's no fun any more. Maybe at some point I'll sell bottle kids, but not for a discounted price; I need folks to be serious about their purchase. These are animals I've worked hard to care for.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I had my dairy I got so I flatly refused to sell kid goats for pets. Most pet goats have a miserable life.

6. farm n louisana

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    I don't mind selling them as pets the lil male I sold about a month ago lives about 7 miles from my house I see him when I pass so I don't mind if there going to be taken care of really good n if the goat doesn't work out I alway taken them back

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It would be fantastic if you could use some punctuation and complete sentences. It will make your posts much more readable, and more people will respond.

8. farm n louisana

Feb 10, 2014
    Houma la
    Where I come from that's how everybody talk so Owell don't read my post

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Phooey!! My grandmother used to send me letters with no punctuation at all. The whole letter was just one long sentence. Did I mind? No. I was just glad to hear from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by