Bottle jaw

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by russellsfarm, Jul 5, 2016.

1. russellsfarm

russellsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    tenneesee
    Okay so I'm in a bind I have a goat that has bottle jaw a lamb that has bottle jaw.....I've been reading about the red cell for the goats I know you can't give to sheep as the copper in it ....does anyone have any other ideas thank you much oh and I have wormed them with valbazen ...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Once bottle jaw sets in it's best to seek out a veterinarian for treatment. If wormed improperly they can bleed out when the worms die when they have that large of a worm load. They will also probably need to be given b vitamin shots to help them recover. Some goats can quickly get overwhelmed with worms and it's considered one of the biggest killer of them and isn't to be taken lightly. I have lost goats to worms.

3. MontanaChickDoc

MontanaChickDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Peel down the eyelids and check the color of the inside part. It should be dark pink. Light pink is not good and chalk white is really bad as in "I need a blood transfusion" bad. The most harmful worms are Haemonchus - they are in the first stomach and are blood suckers. They are also resistant to a lot of dewormers, which means you give the goat or sheep the dewormers and it's like giving them water, the worms don't die :( also, if that's not bad enough, the dewormer dose for goats is two times the sheep dose and so a lot of people don't give them enough. Do call your local vet ASAP. It may not be worms but that's the most common cause. Good luck!

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You have gotten very good advice. Bottle jaw is serious. You need to consult a vet and sooner is better. Bottle jaw is usually the result of worms but the effectiveness of a given wormer varies. The vet can give you some suggestions as to what is most likely to be the best wormer in your area. Do not delay. BTW, the vet may ask for a stool sample.

5. russellsfarm

russellsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    tenneesee
    I'm going to try and get in touch with a vet if I can find one that does livestock were I Live there is nothing around like that ......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by