Bottom Heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Airilith, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I was wondering if anyone's tried using a heat pad instead of a brooder light for heat?

I have a bunch of head pads laying around from my lizards and thought they might work well. Thoughts?

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    If you can regulate the heat and the chicks can move away from the heat to cool off when they get hot i think it should work fine. I've not tried it so hopefully someone who has done this will chime in. Good Luck

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have thought about that myself. I would like to do that so the baby chicks get used to a day/night cycle from the very start and never think they "need" that light. I think they would be able to find the heat without the light .

4. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:It's a small-ish heat pad. I figured I could just put it to one side of the brooder. And I use a light dimmer to control the temperature. I've got a temp gun, so I can monitor it closely. [​IMG]

5. derekos

derekos New Egg

Jul 31, 2012
    I have an eco-glow and a heating pad - the chicks prefer the heating pad most of the time. ;-)

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I used a heating pad wrapped in a towel so I could keep it clean. Also took a small box wrapped in a towel partially covering the top also to make a nest. They seemed to love it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by