Bottom layer of shavings wet

epax

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
So, I have a new coop with about 6 inches of pine shavings in the bottom. I am trying the deep litter method and was giving the shaving a stir when I noticed that the bottom layer of shavings is wet. All over. No sign of rain leakage. The coop is about 16" off the ground, the floor is treated plywood with a sheet of billboard plastic(heavy duty) lining the wood and then the shavings. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of ventilation as the temperature inside of the coop seems to be very close to outdoors.
Any ideas of why this is happening and how I can fix it?
Thanks in advance for any advice given!

This might be a dumb question because you said you were doing DLM but are you adding the DE? When you do, are you sprinkling it on top and then stirring it around? I think since there is composting going on with the DLM *some* moisture is to be expected but there shouldn't be a large amount of moisture. I get moist spots if I leave it for too long (like a week). Typically every few days I just sprinkle some DE on the top, add a thin layer of fresh pine shavings and then stir it all together.

Back
Top Bottom