Bottom of the pecking order....now broody. Would she defend her chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, Sep 18, 2012.

1. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Barred Rock hen who is at the bottom of the pecking order of eight hens (no rooster) has gone broody. In the spring I was going to give her fertile eggs to hatch but is this a good idea? Will the fact that she has chicks change her position in the pecking order? Will she be able to defend her chicks? Or should I find another broody to give the hatching job to? Right now when she does leave the nest to eat and drink every one of the other hens make her life miserable any way they can by pecking and chasing her. Any help

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    You won't know until she hatches them. Some rise up to the occasion. Pecking order is no determination of a mothers ability. I know doesn't allay any fear, but they have been raising chicks in flocks since there were chickens.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Generally, broody hens become more aggressive and also tend to avoid other hens. Make so she can do her business away from main flock and social problems should be minimized.

4. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Sounds like it is a gamble with any hen. I guess you don't know till you let them hatch chicks and show you what kind of mother they will be. My hope was that by her hatching chicks she would be more aggressive and change her position in the pecking order. She is so picked on I figure they will eventually kill her. She has scars on top of her head from being pecked. I was thinking that the reason she is broody is to escape the constant harrassment from the other hens. Thats really the only way she gets a break. Thanks for any suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by