1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bottomless Brahma

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pgpoultry, Sep 11, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    This little Blue Partridge Brahma hen does not have a proper tail or rump and her left wing droops. i hatched her from an egg and I noticed this deformity just after hatching. Her bottom looks twisted.
    She is very healthy otherwise.
    Anybody seen this deformity or know what causes it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's about 17 weeks old now, and although she was smaller than her hatch mates initially, she has caught up now. As the pictures show she has a very healthy appetite and can fly as well (or should that be as badly ???) as any other of my Brahmas.

Thanks,

Sandie

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    She is a beautiful color!

and LOL when I read about the Brahma's flying skills, or lack thereof. I have a Brahma who thinks she is a game hen and usually ends up crashing into fencing of some sort lol. She has stopped trying to match the EE and Barred Rock flying around thank goodness.

Does she THUD when she lands on the ground? Even on her feet? hehe

I don't have advice or experience but she is a pretty girl!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a deformity, maybe congenital. I once had a RIR with a twisted spine, like scoliosis. At first, I thought it was wry tail, then realized it was her spine. Just don't reproduce her. She gets around fine, huh?

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Thank you

Speckled Hen...She is the first out of the coop in the morning and is VERY good on her feet, so there is no suggestion that she is suffering at all by being the shape she is. Her appetite is legendary....the second picture shows her catching some bread which I threw to persuade her to have her photograph taken.

I don't tend to breed much from my Blue Partridge hens because of 'watering down' of the blue colour, and wouldn't use this pullet's eggs in case the deformity passed to the next generation. It may be a 'one off' as neither of her parents (Gold Brahma hen X Red Pyle Brahma rooster) show any abnormality and neither have any of the other chicks from the same hatch or other hatches from the parent birds.

I'm happy to keep the 'much less than show quality' birds and the offspring of unintended matings as they make for an interesting looking flock.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by