1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Botulism not broken wings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dianehodges, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    I thought my rooster had broken wings because both were drooping Yesterday I found him in the pen on his side quivering I picked him up and he was able to stand I put him in a pet carrier and took him in the house After reading symptoms from Raising Chickens for Dummies, all of the symptoms matched botulism He survived the night and seem better today Im watching him very closely and hopefully he will make it This is supposed to be something in the soil or from contaminated food or water Usually I put meal worms and sunflower seed on the ground, now I put both in a pan Is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening again [​IMG] Thanks

1 veteran 1 rooster 3 hens 1 dog 1 cat

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Do you have anything outside that may be moldy? Like damp hay??

3. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Yes I do Iv been putting hay in the pen for the hens to nest in I have a nesting box but I thought the hay would be more like free ranging Do you think the hay is causing the problem The hens seem to be fine Its only the rooster thats been affected I have always had pine shavings on the floor of the shed and the hay was added about 2 months ago I clean the pen at least every 2 weeks Yesterday Richard did seem better He was walking, eating and drinking I think I will remove the hay and just do the pine shavings The meal worms and sunflower seeds are in a pan now so hopefully it will work out

Thank you[​IMG]

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    It wouldn't be the hay itself - the problem is if it's damp and moldy. I understand the mold can contain botulism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by