Botulism? Worms? Young Peking is sick....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DoubleC, Aug 1, 2013.

1. DoubleC

DoubleC Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I am hoping for some help ... Our 5 week old Pekin is not right. He doesn't want to extend his neck..he walks and swims with it tucked in. After swimming he attempts to preen himself, but appears that he doesn't have the flexibility to get to his feathers. He looks unkempt. He is eating and drinking...but not with the gusto he usually displayed. His eyes are a little watery. He has diarrhea, dark brown to blackish. He doesn't open his bill as wide or nibble as quickly as he used to. He had a voracious appetite...now he is content to nibble daintily. He prefers to lay down rather than chill with his 2 duck friends. We have 2 other ducks the same age, a runner and a goldstar hybrid...they are both fine. They share a chicken house with 4 chickens. They free range once a day under supervision, then back to their pen and coop. Its been about 3 days now...today he developed a slight limp. I've been reading and reading....could it be botulism? We have a peach tree ....the ducks attack the fallen peaches. Fallen peaches in the sun can't be good for them. They are also masters at finding worms and slugs to eat. He has electrolytes and probiotics in his water now. I've read to give him B complex and garlic? He's in the house now in a dog crate. Any help or advice would be appreciated. He's my daughters BFF and I can't imagine losing him.

2. chickensnewtome

chickensnewtome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Little town in Arkansas
    Check out the Pekin Duck club on here. Niacin is best for this.

3. DoubleC

DoubleC Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Thank you, I will!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by