Bought 1 Mallard Duck.. Now What?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by teckkev, Apr 15, 2012.

1. teckkev

teckkev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    When the kid's mom went and picked up some turkeys from the local feed mill, she bought a duck too. Yes, 1 duck! Right now, the duck is outside brooder with month old chicks. It was making a watery mess inside the tote in the house. It would collect water and dump it on the wood shavings. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the 1 duck or how to let it be a duck. When I seperate it from the chickens, it will cry non-stop (for hours) till I put it back with the chickens. This was a curve ball thrown at me and I was not expecting nor prepared for.

Any tips?

Kevin

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old is this duck? As for the mess there isn't going to be much you can do. For now they should be fine to raised together. The main problem that will arise when it's older if it's a drake will be mating issues

3. teckkev

teckkev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    It is about/over a month old. Doesn't the duck going to want to waddle in water? I have a creek also, I fear it may go in the creek and swim away, lol. I am absolutely ignorant to ducks. It is suppose to be the kids pet. Just like the cat and dog, they will give it attention while it is new and then ignore it. I am going to buy more ducks next year if this duck is still around.

kevin

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Some ducks like to swim but not always.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by