Bought 12 eggs from ebay, incubator only fits 9. Any suggestions?

Lucy Brown

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Orange, California
My friend wanted some chicken so I thought it would be nice to add a few more chickens to our flock. so, I bought barnyard mix eggs, EE, OE, austrolorp, jersey giant, GLW, Isa brown, rhode island red, copper marans, and white leghorns. my incubator only fits up to 9 eggs, but i am not sure if they will actually fit nine large eggs. does anybody have any suggestions what to do with the rest of the eggs I kind of want to try and hatch all of the eggs but i am afriad they will not all fit.

You could always store a few eggs for up to 2 weeks in a cool place.

Stick 9 in there, candle them after 5 days and check for progress. If any are infertile (which there most likely will be) then those can be removed and the ones in storage can be heated up slowly to be added a few hours later.
If you carry on candling you might have an early quitter, hope for the best but it happens so if it does then you will have 3 eggs to replace any with.

If they all develop well then you will have a problem but you then either don't incubate 3 eggs worst case scenario or think of something to do then.

Edit: stacking might work for quail eggs but for larger eggs I doubt it would with the stacked eggs being too close to the heat source. Just my observation as I know how most incubators are designed, they won't be designed to incubate large stacked eggs. Stacked quail eggs on the other hand would be no taller than a large egg..

You could always store a few eggs for up to 2 weeks in a cool place.

Stick 9 in there, candle them after 5 days and check for progress. If any are infertile (which there most likely will be) then those can be removed and the ones in storage can be heated up slowly to be added a few hours later.
If you carry on candling you might have an early quitter, hope for the best but it happens so if it does then you will have 3 eggs to replace any with.

If they all develop well then you will have a problem but you then either don't incubate 3 eggs worst case scenario or think of something to do then.

Edit: stacking might work for quail eggs but for larger eggs I doubt it would with the stacked eggs being too close to the heat source. Just my observation as I know how most incubators are designed, they won't be designed to incubate large stacked eggs. Stacked quail eggs on the other hand would be no taller than a large egg..
great idea!

I regularly overfill my incubators at the beginning of incubation. In 4 days you can candle and odds are some of the eggs will not be forming embryos and you will have more room when you remove those. If you have an automatic Turner just hand turn for those first few days.

the thing about the incubator i bought is from amazon... it looks like this.there
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 1.21.55 PM.png
there has to be room on both sides for the turner to work properly. i am just worried if i add more eggs on the side this will prevent the other eggs from being turned.

Back
Top Bottom