1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought 4 Cochin hens and got 2 roos and 2 hens/rant

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bburn, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Did not know where to put this so here it has landed.

I have been searching for some LF Cochin hens for my boy Harry....who finally became a boy. This week I finally found some. The lady who had them listed thought she had one rooster and three hens. Called her and told her I only needed hens. She said she was selling out everything and needed to sell them as a group. I told her if she changed her mind to call me because I really did not want another roo or to have to cull one. (my gosh, how do you kill a cochin??? they are so gentle)

So, she called back and said her husband had said that they were all hens. Mom and three 7 mo old pullets from her. So, here I go to get my Cochin hens.....am excited beyond belief. Get there late in the afternoon and meet the husband. Now, these are very nice people....really. He has the hens in a small coop that is kind of dark with some other chickens. He says to me I need to check this one and make sure it is a hen.....he is sure it is.....he catches it and we both look at it and he says....hen. I am standing there thinking that he raised it he should know. It was just big and fat and fluffy....and oh so pretty.

He is nice enough to catch them all up, put them in my crate and help me secure it in the back of the truck. It is dark when I get home DH and #2GD meet me to get them into the tractor that is waiting on them. DH and #2GD go out the next morning to look at the 'girls'. DH hollers at me and says that once again I have been ripped off.....two roos and two hens. Sure enough I go out there and four fat butts are facing me.....two hen butts and two roo butts. Big black fluffy LF Cochins. I was wondering why Harry was not thrilled. He can see them but is not close to them. As I watched him he would get all chirpy when the girls were in the corner where he could see them good. Then the roos would be in the corner and he would go to the other side of his run.

Even Harry knew!!!! I just feel stupid. I called the lady, who was very nice and very apologetic, and she said to call her home phone and leave my addy and she would send me some money. Called and instead of answering machine her husband answered. He was really very nice and very sorry.....but was quick to say I could not bring them back. I don't want to bring them back.

But the problem is having room. Already my DH is making really large, big, ugly noises about having to build the THIRD coop. But I exlained to him, once again, that the reason I married him...ok, one of the reasons, was because he is a carpenter. And we have spent nothing on the coops so far......lots of leftover 'stuff' from years of him building. The place is really shaping up these days by using all the 'stuff'. So, I am really helping him out you see!

But I am to stop buying chickens!!! I only wanted some girls for Harry. He was so sad and lonely after the rooster in the big run beat him up and I made him a corner in the big run.

I only feel bad because there are only two girls for Harry. Okay, then I feel bad because I have to do something about the two roos. As far as I can tell they are brothers and sisters.....but then the people did not know they were two roos and two hens so how would they know they were brothers and sisters???

So, if anyone NEEDS one or two LF Big Black Beautiful Cochin Roosters please let me know. Will sell them pretty cheap!!! Especially since she is sending me a check to pay me back. I just want to find them a home!

Once again.....CHICKEN MATH has struck on the mountain!!!! I am not really mad, just sad.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am sorry! I know how you feel. I didn't buy chicks because I only only only want hens. I dont want babies or any mating or anything to do with stress at all. Lady picked three polish hens.....and it looks like all three are roosters. I dont know what I am going to do. They have names now. I too am sad. I only have three hens and one is tiny so this is not going to work.
    sharon

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im sorry you got taken-at that age anyone who raises chickens knows darn well a roo from a hen! That was very sneaky of them and just wrong-good luck with your new coop though:)

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Too bad. People can be idiots.

If I were closer, I might take one since I have a black cochin hen, but sorry! I can't go all the way to Arkansas for a chicken!

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'd be surprised if she really sends you the money back. I think they knew what they had!

I rehomed some chicks yesterday and was sure to point out 'THESE ARE ALL BOYS' to the person who picked them up. [​IMG] I see ads on craigslist all the time selling 'hens' that look very very male.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have a comparable story. I recently paid a visit to a local show breeder who had a total of 250 birds FREE RANGE! LOL

It was chicken euphoria for a chicken addict like me...they were scratching around my feet, eating from my hands, climbing into my arms, beautiful. He had some young BRs and RIRs that he couldn't guarantee sex on, but compared them to adults and sold me 2 BR "pullets" and a RIR "pullet" for 3.00 each. These were about 10 weeks old. Although I have a BR hen, I didn't know the ins and outs of sexing BRs so I completely missed the obvious: these 2 had much lighter plumage than my girl, the beginnings of hackles, HUGE feet, no black "wash" on the legs, and DEEP voices. Not huge comb or wattles though? My two boys are now segregated to a dog crate with the only girl of the bunch. The RIR. They aren't bothering her yet, and she is just so loveable that I can't stand seeing her get beat up by my older hens so I am leaving her with her "brothers" from the seller for now.

Anyone want a BR cockeral in NC? UGGGHHHHH.

I feel your pain.

7. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    You know I am really not as 'not smart' as my DH was acting.

The problem was the coop was really dim lighted. The owners dog....LGD (can you imagine half bulldog and half blue healer..omg) was jumping around at the chickens....not at me...kinda like the dog. But the dog was really distracting. And I hate picking up someone elses birds. So, the fella, after checking to make SURE the one that he decided was the momma hen to make sure it was not a rooster, was picking them up and putting them in his crate to take them to the back of my truck and my crate. I was just glad the dog did not get them or that they did not get out.

It is really obvious now.

My Harry took the longest time to even begin to look like a rooster. I posted his picture several times and mostly got 'hen'. However, finally the wind blew just right and I could see his skinny rooster feathers.....that had not shown themselves before. Then the rooster beat him up.

So, really.....there has to be someone in the Arkansas/Oklahoma area that NEEDS a boy or two!!! Michickenwrangler....it would be a nice scenic drive to Arkansas....just sayin'.....

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I know, but I have to work tomorrow. And it would mean I'd probably have to drive through Illinois [​IMG]

I do have family in Arkansas, Fayetteville area. If you're asking for Okies, you can't be too far from there

9. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:Ah, don't be a spoiled sport! Take the drive....lol.

My mother is in Springdale and I picked the chickens up in Huntsville and then came home.

Yes, close to Oklahoma.....someone there surely wants a couple of beautiful roosters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by