1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

bought 6, 1 week old barred rocks. One never got "bars"?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ourbackyardflock, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ourbackyardflock

ourbackyardflock Hatching

Jul 5, 2010
    We were looking to add 6 more brown egg layers to our group. After alot of reading (newly into this venture as of this past spring) we decided to get barred rocks. We attended a chicken swap at our local tractor supply. We met many knowledgable and nice people that day. One booth had exclusevly barred rocks and reassured me they were all pullets. Even gave me a business card with the name of the farm and a phone number in case we ended up with a rooster he would swap them out at no charge. Joke is on me as that business card was misplaced probably 10 minutes after we left.

Anyway they were all black in color when we got them. After the first week home, we saw the white comming in and obvious the beginnings of the "bars" or stripes...... Except for this one. It is all black, some silverish apperance on its underside. Black legs and beak. No comb or sign of one yet. It scratches, dust bathes and does all that the others do. If it were not for that I would swear it was a black bird. The other 5 barred rocks quickly developed their stripes or "barrs", yellowish legs and beaks, have combs and are growing at a much faster pace. I would not say double in size, but close. Especially when you hold one then the other, noticeably smaller than the rest.

I do have a couple of pics, still trying to learn how to load them on this post.

Any one have any idea? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. countrychix

countrychix Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Sorry, I don't know. From your descripton it kind of sounds like my black australorps. You can add pictures by clicking the Uploads link above.

3. ourbackyardflock

Jul 5, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks. I was able to upload them and can view them in my uploads. Don't know for sure if this worked. If not how do I get them from my uploads to this reply?

4. ourbackyardflock

Jul 5, 2010
    Foolish me. I see this this worked. Thanks for the help. I need a better camera though. A little blurry.

5. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Black australorp bantam? If it is, keep it. The eggs will start quite small but will get bigger. Mine lays a 38-42grm egg every second day.

6. ourbackyardflock

Jul 5, 2010
    You are the second to suggest black australorp. I am curious and look into these. Thanks for the response.

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Australorps look like this.

[​IMG]

She will have shiny black feathers with a green sheen in the sun. Her legs will be slate grey (or gray if in the USA!).

Enjoy your birds.

8. ourbackyardflock

Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks for the picture. The birds in my pics are about 5 weeks old. Are Black Australorps slow to grow. I really dont see a comb on this bird yet?

9. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Really looked like my black australorps! They are sweet, we love them!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 2 barred ones in the pics are both boys. As for the black one, I can't really tell in the pictures as they are not real clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by