Bought 6 chicks yesterday

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by confusedturtle, Mar 16, 2013.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I bought 6 three day old chicks @ the feed store yesterday. They are gold sex links & completely adorable. Two of them seem to sleep a lot more than the rest, one of those we think may be dying. It lays down to sleep and only moves when we touch it or the other chicks bump into it. Is this normal, should I be worried and what should I do? I've never started with such young chicks and I'm worried about this little one. If I'm able to post a pic it will be the chick that is towards the top of the picture.[​IMG]

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi confusedturtle. I have had this happen to me and unfortunately there is a fifty/fifty chance of survival. There is however a checklist we can go through. Just remember it is probably not your fault, sometimes it is the hatcheries and sometimes you just have a weak chick(s).
    #1 Do you have them under a brooder light and if so is it warm enough?
    #2 Do they have fresh feed and water
    #3 Do they know where the feed and water is? You may have to show them. Sometimes it is necessary to dip there beaks int he water to show them.

1 person likes this.
  3. sweettea75

sweettea75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm totally new at this, but I have a week old chick that was lethargic and not growing well. I started giving it poly-vi-sol baby vitamins and it has perked up considerably. I would try that and maybe feeding it some baby parrot food.

4. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    They are under a brooder light, I have been adjusting it according to them. When they huddle I move it closer when they sprawl out I move it away a tiny bit. I don't have a thermometer in there but the others seem fine. They do have fresh food & water and they have eaten out of it but maybe these 2 haven't been eating/drinking from it. I will try dipping their beaks into both. I have poly-vi-sol from my baby I will try giving them a tiny bit. Thank you both, I appreciate it. :)

5. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Great. Let us know what happens!

6. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Well I found out the first problem. I had bought chick grit rather than starter crumble, I must have grabbed the wrong bag. I knew it didn't look right and when none of the chicks ate it I called the feed store & asked. We have the right food now the heathy 4 are doing great, the other 2 are still struggling. One won't stand up, eat, drink or anything. She has flopped onto her side with her feet in the air, I think it's only a matter of time. The other struggler is sleeping a lot but will try to eat & drink occasionally. We are using and eye dropper to offer the sickest one water & the poly-vi-sol, she seems to be drinking it but no change at all. I guess we'll see if she makes it through the night. She is also in a box of her own now. The other chicks were stepping on her and one pecked her a few times.

7. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Yike! I am glad you found the problem. I'm sorry that happened to you and I hope all your chicks make it!

8. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    well i hope they make it but by the sounds of it you're doing a lot for them so remember IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT if something happens

9. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I will check back in the morning!

10. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    The sickest one did not make it. I checked on her one of the times the baby woke me up and she had passed away. I will bury her in the morning. The other chicks look ok for now. Thank you for the advice & encouragement. Hopefully the other sickly chick continues to improve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by