Bought a Cockatiel, Will the band tell me her age?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by amandacv86, Feb 17, 2013.

1. amandacv86

amandacv86 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    I bought a Cockatiel from someone on Craigslist the day before yesterday. She doesn't feel 100% comfortable around me, yet, but will get on my fingers if I tell her "Up", and she practically begs to be out of her cage. She likes to be near me, on her terms :p...
    Right now she's sleeping on the corner of my computer desk.

Anyway, her band says BBF9326. I've read somewhere that breeders will have the first two numbers be the year born, and the second the order they are born in that year. Does that mean she's 20 years old? Thanks!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    The year wouldnt be in the numbers but after it. Usually by itself.

3. amandacv86

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. I just double checked and those are the only numbers. After researching a bit I found that the BBF probably stands for Baby Bird Farm. I emailed the owner of the company to see if he has any records. I just want to know how old she is. Thanks again :)

4. amandacv86

Sep 20, 2012
    I finally got a reply from the person I bought her from. She's about a year old. :)

5. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    That's awesome, great homework.
    I breed cockateils but I don't band, this might change my mind, and start banding them. :)

6. amandacv86

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks! My friend has a friend who has a male she thinks she might want to find a home for, so I was thinking of attaching a nest box and seeing if they lay eggs. Of course I'll take all precautions, but I'm super scared of egg binding.

7. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Egg binding is what happened to my two tiel hens

8. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Its a very hard choice, I made a choice with, some of my teils not to breed, seven year old, they gave me plenty of babys, they mean to much to me, so no more breeding with some of them.
    they all are my freinds but, I just don't want the risk. :)

9. amandacv86

Sep 20, 2012
    I know of a bird breeder who is getting older and wanting to get out of the bird business. She wants to sell me a breeding pair for $60. I want to but not right away. I just spent quite a bit of money on Molly(that's what I named her), and my Husband's Lovebirds, so I don't expect he'll allow me to get more birds right away. I read that you shouldn't expect a Cockatiel you want to breed to stay friendly and be a good pet. What are your thoughts on that?

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I may have had some of the exceptions, but some of my sweetest birds have been breeding pairs! If they're nesting/brooding I try not to aggravate them excessively, but they'll let me check on the eggs if I am gentle. Some of my others would rip your fingers off if you reached into the nestbox. It depends on the individual birds. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by