Bought a few chicks to give to hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smoothmule, May 9, 2008.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Overrun With Chickens

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I bought 5 cuckoo maran chicks to give to 2 of my hens that hatched out 5 chicks together in one nest box. I waited until it was dark and moved the 2 hens and their brood of 5 chicks into a cage with plenty of bedding and they tucked their 5 new chicks in just like they were their own. I expect by morning they will be bonded and the little hens will raise them along with their own, well not quite their own, they were eggs from my bigger hens [​IMG]

I had 2 pairs of setting hens (2 hens to a nest setting) and once the first nest of chicks hatched, they were fussing over who was the mom of them and I thought I'd put a stop to it by giving them plenty for both to enjoy. The chicks were the same color, size and age as the one's they hatched out together.

I have 2 other small hens setting that will hatch this Sunday or Monday so I'm planning to go to the hatchery to pick up some more on Tuesday (we're the same distance from Cackle in Lebanon and Estes in Springfield).

Here were the little nest buddies before the first pair hatched their eggs (the one's on the right).

[​IMG]

2. smoothmule

smoothmule Overrun With Chickens

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Here is the first chick hatched. These little hens are so tolerant of me checking them frequently. These two have hatched chicks for me before. The other 2 setting are first time moms and have been just as good at setting. Aren't the little bantam hens so sweet??[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by