Bought a plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Fredster, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Well, it took plucking three roosters by hand, but I finally did it: I broke down and bought a chicken plucker. Roosters seem to have approximately 473 times more feathers than pullets / hens, of which 80% are pain-in-the-butt pinfeathers.

So, the plucker, to make my job easier. It was $295 on eBay; not a bad price.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. It took me about 1 minute to do the chicken below (one of our Jersey Giant hens) with the plucker. All I had to do when it was done is get the big wing and tail feathers, and a few small ones off each wing and around the lower drumstick area.

MUCH nicer than doing it by hand.

The plucker threw almost all the feathers straight down through the bottom. I think I'll get myself an aluminum garbage can and build some sort of 2x4 rig on the top so I can set the plucker there and not have to pick up many feathers.

Two tentative thumbs up for the plucker (I'll feel better when I've used it a few times).

Sure is bright red, ain't it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    I haven't seen one like that. Would you mind saying how much it cost ya? I understand if you'd rather not. I'm just curious. Oh and what state are you in?

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    very nice! now all you need is a sink. mount the turkey fryer, sink, killing station and plucker on a trailer and you've got yourself a mobile processing station!

4. Fredster

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Quote:It was $295 (eBay); I'm in Alabama.

The guy I bought from has one more: http://tinyurl.com/6acr6h

(the
    picture shows grey fingers, but it came with black ones)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Just curious........don't most people chop the head off first and bleed it out? Never saw one like this before...just asking.

6. Fredster

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Quote:Perhaps they do. I put mine in a cone in my kill station and make a quick cut across the jugular. Nice and peaceful, with no mad flapping or spraying blood. [​IMG]

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    OK..........didn't see the cut. Forgive me but I wondered if you plucked it ALIVE. Shame on me [​IMG]

8. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    Thanks Fred. I bought the other one. [​IMG]

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Looks like I need to start saving my nickles instead of my pennies. [​IMG]

mtnhomechick~~ I hope no one ever plucks a chicken alive [​IMG] talk about torture.

10. Fredster

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Quote:The jugular is on the left side. I made sure to put that side down for the picture, so it wasn't unnecessarily graphic. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by