1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought a premade coop, now I am questioning.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jophoto, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jophoto

jophoto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    Do you think this one will work well for me?

4x6 coop. Edited: Not happy with the mypetchicken.com place at this moment.

At the top, it says 12-15 chickens, and at the bottom it says up to 25. What's right?

I plan to have at the most 15 chickens (and at least 5 would be smaller breeds). We are building a run - the sky's the limit in size of the run - we haven't decided totally on the run yet, still working out details, but I am sure it will be a good size and hopefully going to have another shelter area involved. We're on two acres, cleared.

Now that I bought it, though, I am wondering - will this be sufficient? I'm already thinking we could make some more roosting space....

I did love that we could have this in dark grey and white to match our house.

We did weigh out building our own but time constraints and lack of motivation to build it vs. cost of supplies, felt this was worth it in the end...

but now of course I am second guessing everything...

ETA: Yep, I managed to cancel that order! woohoo - I have a better and bigger one coming! [​IMG] unless new roo has another idea from Oxford PA [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Looks good to me! It should work good. Add more roosts if you think nessary and plan a good sized run! Good Luck!

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    It says six nest boxes for 25 hens (though I personally would go for at least 8 for 25), but my own preference is for a bit more space per bird to avoid stress-related pecking and other nasty things that crop up in those situations. Why don't you start with your original plan, and see how everyone gets on. You can always "refresh" your laying flock with younger laying hens next year if need be . . . though by then you may be ordering yet more coops, and moving to the country to have more land for your growing empire of lovely chickens.

Ahem. Anyway, your coop is going to be fabulous. Enjoy, and please keep us posted on how things go! [​IMG]

4. jophoto

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    Quote:LOL! Actually, I am out in the country - cornfields and rolling hills everywhere, but 2 acres makes us appear like cityfolk compared to everyone with the 20-150 acres... LOL!

DH was playing around and said this is our start to our farmette which we plan to buy in the future, so I can bring my three horses onto our property instead of having them boarded... but then we will want alpacas or something, you watch... [​IMG]

5. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Have you already purchased the coop? I can point you to one in Oxford, PA that is same size for 700, and can be put in back of a pickup. Not exactly sure where your at, Northern Md is a big place. If still looking let me know ideally 4X6 is 24 sqft, so if you go with the 4 sqft per bird it will comfortable hold 6. If you have lots of run space you can squeeze them in.

PM me if still shopping.

6. jophoto

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    are you kidding me??? I don't think I am that far from Oxford - I am close to Stewartstown (York Co).

I did already buy it because we are in a hurry... UGH! (and I don't think we are allowed to cancel our order).

I actually CAN cancel - like right now - let me know!

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    that is pretty expensive. I can get a 8x8 shed for way less at the home improvement stores(and the paint and shingles etc.. to finish it) i can get a 6x6 amish made gambrel style barn delivered to my house, ready made painted and everything. In general chicken coops are always more expensive than a storage shed from Lowes or so.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

THATS a downpayment on a new Lexus!

Home Depot in my area has an 8x8 shed I think for $699!!! And they'll build it on your lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  9. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Ok by popular request I will take a ride and make sure they still have these coops available, will repost in about an Hour, it is a amish place, so I doubt they have a website, but most do have phone, etc...

10. jophoto

Mar 31, 2009
    White Hall, MD
    oh new roo, thank you soooooo much! I found another place with a Quaker style 6x6 that is running the same price - as in, $1,600

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by