Bought a Roo now he's sneezing. PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by walkswithdog, Jan 12, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Bought a young BR Roo. Of course by the time I get him home, he's sneezing. I brought him straight into the house for quarantine. Which I'd planned on anyway. Third day, other than the sneezes he's otherwise normal. No gunk, no swelling, eating absolutely anything, energetic and preening.

How much do I worry about this feller? I plan on keeping him in here for as long as it takes to clear him up. But if he ends up with no other symptoms, do I just put it down to being really poorly handled - open transport in the cold and rain? Because it was a crumby way to move a bird.

He's got good weight, good feather, no mites, good color to tissues, no smell, no diarhea.

On top of that (sigh) he has great barring for a utility bird, five points, a gentle nature, beautiful bone and a very nice broad back. He had better make it. We named him after my favorite football player name. Algernon Crumpler aka Algie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive read that when bringing a bird home, they may sneeze for awhile while they adjust to the new dust, etc. Just watch him, and if he doesnt get better, then I would consider culling.

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    He's the first adult bird I've ever bought from someone else who transported open air and I'm hoping it was the poor transport and really dusty wood shaving I had in there. Since he has no other symptoms. Crossing my fingers because, darn, he's a sweet handsome bird.

4. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    He is a very handsome bird. Looks perfectly happy hanging out in your kitchen!

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    He looks healthy to me. As long as there is no nasal discharge and the eyes are clear, all should be good! You may want to add some vitamins to the water, or give him a protein boost. He sure is pretty!!
    Christina

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I'd quarantine him for at least 3 weeks. I quarantined the pullets that I got last year for 3 weeks... and they were healthy without a doubt.

Looks like you have a house rooster for a month!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's very handsome. Good barring for hatchery stock!

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    He's doing REALLY well, begun crowing and spending some time out in the isolation pen in the sun.

He'd be out more but for the beastly weather.

No more snot, no more sneezes, no more rawls.

Crowing, eating like a PIG, and clucking for attention, he's even getting used to sitting on my lap.

9. Rose's Human Hen

Rose's Human Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Glad to hear it walkswithdogs!

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Yay![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by