Bought a rotten egg

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

Songster
13 Years
May 11, 2010
Plymouth, Massachusetts
not sure where to post this...my sister came by and told me she bought eggs from a local person who has a roadside stand (been buying there for years)... recently she cracked open an egg that was all black inside - disgusting smell...so we're wondering what are the possible causes?? she is going to let the seller know next time she goes there...thanks in advance for your expertise
wink.png

My guess would be that the egg was hidden from the seller for some time, maybe in a corner under some hay or the like, and when the seller found it, they did not realize it was an old one. Not that strange when you think how chickens sometimes move eggs around. I'm sure the seller will want to know it happened.

I agree. I have lots of straw in my nest boxes and I am afraid an egg will be left unnoticed barried under straw. I have found several eggs while cleaning out the bedding build up in the bottom of the coop, that were either laid there or fell out of the next boxes. I throw them out. If she is selling eggs I think she should be more careful.

Back
Top Bottom