Bought a tiny, day-old "Ameraucana", but now it looks like this....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suzannaski, Jul 22, 2011.

1. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    So I was at a chicken meet, and wanted to buy Ameraucanas. I bought this one when it was a couple days old, and now, 8 weeks later, I think I was duped. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'd like to properly ID this little chicken (sex and breed) so I can re-home him/her. My friend guessed its a modern game hen. Definitely is a leggy little thing. Cute as a button with huge eyes.
    The first photo is a good representation of the head, the second one is a good one of the body, but he/she looked away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's an EE behind, same age, so you can get an idea of the size of the chicken.
    Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Thats not an Ameraucauna! Not sure exactly WHAT it is though

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    don't modern games have single combs? maybe its a cross between the two?

4. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    A humble lesson in buyer beware for me.
    I couldn't find a good pic online of modern game. Just some illustrations, but this one's body definitely is the same upright leggy shape as a game hen. What other breeds are like that?

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    As far as I know, modern games are the only chickens with legs that long. The comb is all wrong, though, so I get the feeling it's some kind of modern game cross.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It really depends on what her comb is. I can't really make it out from the first photo, does she have a straight comb?

I really am leaning towards a Blue Modern Game hen. Their combs can be a bit uneven, but should be a straight comb.

Thanks!

7. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I'll try to get a better pic. If only they'd stay still longer than a nanosecond. I think you're all correct about a modern game cross.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  9. suzannaski

May 31, 2009
    Berlin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by