Bought an injured rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GD91, Nov 14, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Hi

Just bought a pair of does yesterday. I noticed last night the lop wasn't very active & kept licking her paws & acting irritable.
    Picked her up to examine & there are two sores on her hocks, one of which was still bleeding badly.
    I've brought her in & cleaned the site & its stopped bleeding , but the other sore looks very red with a yellow tinge. I don't know if the yellow is due to the site weeping, it doesn't look like infection pus.
    I bought them from an eastern family (Indian, Pakistan, whatever ), I'm British & now even less keen on immigration. Their house was spotlessly clean, so why weren't their animals healthy? I didn't actually see the rabbits housing, they more got handed to me in a box & at a quick check seemed fine. It struck me that to them sore hocks is normal for a rabbit when I texted them later . They wanted a pair of my chickens , but not now after this. I liked them up until this point . This rabbit has been bad for a long while, but I didn't notice when I bought her.

She's on the sofa, I have cleaned the wound & slightly salted it & it stopped bleeding. Can I put her back outside soon?
    None of my rabbits has ever got sore hocks, all my animals are kept on 1/2 ft of chopped cardboard with hay beds for comfort & I have never had any leg/foot problems. :(
    My friend who collected her with me said I should take her back for my money back, but she has improved and I don't want to send her back to a bad situation. :(

Also, I have no proof I bought her from them anyway because it all happened that fast I forgot to ask for a receipt . :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I've cleaned the site that was bleeding. It still. Didn't stop so I did what I didn't really want to and applied a pinch of salt which stopped the bleeding almost instantly.
    Then I kept her in for an hour before I returned her back outside. This was all at 2am I have been up all night monitering this doe.
    Checked her again at 8am & she has perked up quite a bit , she's eating & moving more & seems more comfortable . Plus she's still not bleeding anymore.

What's bothering is the woman almost certainly knew she was sore & bleeding because she put her in the box, stared down at her, and then picked her up again & placed newspaper down in the box.
    I checked the base of the box below the paper & there was blood, she had obviously spotted it and tried to cover it up.

Poor bunny :(

I got her as a meat rabbit to breed only & produce some fine kits.

They are both stretched out now in the coop eating peelings & veg. They've got toys & enrichment in there + full garden access all day , everyday .

I'm glad I got her in a way, at least she'll have a good life here raising kits once a year & life of bunny luxery in the meantime :)

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Glad you go the bleeding stopped. Sounds like bunny has gotten into a much better situation by moving to your house. [​IMG]
    It's not just immigrants that have low standards for animal care, I realize they have different custioms and ways of doing things, but still no excuse for seling an injured animal IMHO.

4. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK

Oh of course not, but oh my god, the ignorance! I was just fuming that it had happened right after I said to my friend "Make sure we check ’em". after saying that we didnt check them properly.
    Never mind, shes much better, Ive seen a massive change in the past 24 hours.

Apparently they were being kept on metal flooring, I found out from the lady. At least she sounded apologetic I suppose :(

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It sounds like she should do alright now that she has a solid spot to sit. Is it a larger rabbit? It is fairly common for large rabbits on ONLY wire to get sore hock, though its not an excuse to not treat it!

I wouldn't use salt on the wounds. That has to be quite painful and while it may have some antiseptic effect, there are other things you can use. For now though, as long as it doesn't seem infected, I would just limit her access to any wire. The bleeding should stop. Be aware of the reaction of the other rabbit though. Sometimes blood will cause one animal to go after the other.

Other than that, just monitor her. The feet are a tough area because you can't really apply things or wrap the very well if they are ambulatory.

Unfortunately, sometimes we just have to chalk these things up to a lesson learned! Its a shame people can be so shady, especially in transactions like this.

6. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Update : The rabbits much better now :) thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by