Bought an LG today and...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, May 15, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    So far I'm pretty impressed. I have a Hovabator 2362 in its second season, and I love it--it has great hatches. But I wanted a dedicated hatcher for my staggered hatches, and on the advice of folks here decided to go with the cheap farm supply store incubator (the Little Giant).

The jury is still out--I've had it less than six hours--but I'm fairly impressed so far. It's already stabilized at 100 degrees, with the heat element coming on and off regularly and the temp not varying at all. My Hovabator varies more between heat element cycles.

Of course, I have yet to see how it will perform as the ambient temp goes down tonight. And maybe it's just beginner's luck. Plus, I'm interested in how it will act when I'm adding water during a hatch. But still, for a $42 incubator, it's not too bad so far.

[​IMG]

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I got one this spring too, and I must say I am satisfied so far! It holds the heat steadily, with a little help, and it holds the humidity waaaay better than a forced air incubator! I have to keep my LG swaddled in a towel to keep the temps from dipping overnight. Other than that I haven't had to worry about it much. I think if you buy it knowing that it is not a set-it-and-forget-it bator then you are getting your $$'s worth.

I have duck eggs in mine due to hatch on Wednesday. After that I think I will use it as a hatcher, but if it goes well then maybe I'll incubate in it again [​IMG] Oh, and I bought a fan at Staples, and I plan to install that after this hatch.

3. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI, Have heard lots of negative about LG.......I have one and have not had a problem with heat or
    humidity.I did wrap a flannel sheet at night when the weather was really cold.................
    The problem seems to be if you adjust the heat you can barley move the knob or it will get very hot ver fast. I just move it till the light comes on.
    good luck and have fun.

4. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I have 2 and I get pretty good hatches with them [​IMG]

5. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm happy with my LG. Its always held a nice steady temp.

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool--glad to hear others with good experiences. I have noticed that if I turn the knob just the teensiest little bit, the temp changes rather quickly and dramatically. But I'm okay with that--I figure I won't be messing with it once it's where I want it.

I've tested it with opening & shutting the lid and seeing how long it takes to get back to temp (not long), and I've now got it right at 99 degrees for hatching. Now I'm going to add some hot water and see if it remains stable or how long it takes to get stable.

I'm so excited to have a separate hatcher!!

7. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Pretty happy with mine as well. I have my first setting in it now. I set it up and let it run for about 16 hours before I put the eggs in and it held right at 100*. I have only had to adjust it once when temps got up about 95 today. I'm trying dry incubation since the humidity in my house seems to be running about 50-55%

I also have my eggs in cartons with the tops cut off and tilt the whole incubator for turning instead of turning each egg.

8. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I bought an LG a few months ago but it was defective (indicator light never came on) and I returned it. I was shocked to discover incubators can be made out of styrofoam! Also - the price at the farm store here is $59., though it occasionally goes on sale for $49. I'm hoping to make my own incubator as soon as I get all the supplies together, but if it becomes too overwhelming I might give the LG another try. It's encouraging to know you've all done okay with it.

9. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi SeaHen--I actually have to admit, I paid $50 for mine. And I was irritated about that, lol! The LG is $41.99 at Tractor Supply, and I even called to confirm that they had some in stock, but the local Farm Supply store is closer so I decided to check them out first. Their price was $49.99, and I told them I thought it was too much--but I bought it anyway, because I figured by the time I counted in gasoline & time, that $8 difference was not going to be worth the hassle.

I just tested it with water added and it's doing great. Still holding very steady. I'll be very interested to see how it handles temp fluctuations in the house over the next few days until it's time to lock down my hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by