1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought as an Araucana Pullet... What is she/he really...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueJaye, Aug 14, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    She is definitely the leader of my flock and is obviously not an Araucana. I think she is an easter egger, but haven't seen others like her. She is around 20 weeks old. Thanks![​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    We'd need to see a full body shot, but I suspect she's an Easter Egger. It's very common for hatcheries/feed stores to mislable their Easter Eggers, and call them Araucanas or Ameraucanas.

3. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    That's what I've heard, but have never seen her coloring/body type on other EEs. This is from a few weeks back, but of her whole body. [​IMG]

4. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, EE lady, I have similar to her, but with a beard. Lemme get a pic

[​IMG]

The closest named color to their pattern is Silver Duckwing.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, Easter egger.

There's a massive thread about sexing ee by color, you might check it out to see the range of colors they come in.

6. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    So it's normal for her to have a red and significant comb and wattle? Most of the other photos in the thread that donraie was talking about had tiny pink combs...

7. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:There's really no 'normal' for EEs. They are mixed by nature, and thus you get all sorts of different quirks with them. Ideally, to me, an EE should have: Pea comb, muff/beard, lay green/blue eggs, & have slate/willow legs. However, you can add, subtract, mix around, and play with any of those features and still technically have an EE.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Her large red comb means she's reached sexual maturity and should be laying very soon.

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

At 20 weeks, she is a mature hen. Hens have red combs and wattles too, just significantly smaller than roos.

If she had that red of comb and size at say 9 weeks, we'd all be saying roo, but she is 5 months old and getting ready to lay.

The photo looks like she has a nice pea comb, so your chances are very good that she will lay blue or green eggs. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by