Bought as Golden Comet pullet(chick)…

Killyhawker

Songster
Apr 25, 2020
My daughters bought three ISA brown and one golden comet checks from TSC at Easter. By this time, September, I am going to presume that they are going on five months old. I think they have started laying eggs, they are the only dark brown egg breed I have. However, the one that is the golden comet… I’m not so sure it is a golden comet…or even a going to be a hen…

I’ve been raising chickens for 4 years and do pretty good when it comes to gendering. this one has got me though.

“She” mounted one of the ISA browns today. Not really doing the rooster breeding dance so I thought it was a pecking order/dominance thing. Has not crowed, yet(I have three roosters and one one of them starts the other to join in.) Tends to walk around out side on her own exploring like I’ve read that golden comets like to do. it does look like saddle feathers and long neck feathers, but not a very large tail. And a cute hen-like fluffy butt. Spurs might be growing in, but not very large right now.

This is the LARGEST of all the chickens! Bigger (and a year younger than my largest rooster.)

So if you can assist with at least the breed of this chicken…affectionately named Comet…Thank you. If it is a rooster, I’m probably going to have to make a bachelor pad because that will mean I’m going to end up with five roosters and 20 hens. will probably keep “him.”

D3CD6D03-9423-4FB3-A2E8-073F6A0A46C8.jpeg
760F2845-01D4-430B-8E6A-0D1389EA137C.jpeg
E357D133-086B-400F-A094-2C9A18732037.jpeg
CA2D939A-8A41-4699-BAA6-81BB890DCC5A.jpeg
D1C06123-79BD-401B-8B75-C809237D815E.jpeg

He's still learning manners then.. I agree cockerel.. pointy saddle feathers are there, even though they are still getting longer..

He's still learning manners then.. I agree cockerel.. pointy saddle feathers are there, even though they are still getting longer..

View attachment 3246411
View attachment 3246412
thank you,
very informative. i’ve never seen pullet /cockerel pics side by side and someone explain it like that

very informative. i’ve never seen pullet /cockerel pics side by side and someone explain it like that
Super happy to help! Please note those pics were from google. :thumbsup

Gender specific pointy saddle feathers like those seen in the pics above cannot usually be seen starting before about 10 weeks old, usually closer to 12 weeks.. and may not be flowing like that second photo until closer to 16 weeks. Juvenile feather shape prior to that age are not indicative of gender.. though SOME breeds (like FBCM, salmon Faverolles, wheaten anything, etc) the male specific coloring may start coming in by 4-6 ish weeks.

Sometimes feather patterns can make rounded feathers LOOK pointy. Placing your hand or a sheet of paper behind them can help show the difference.

Also the first poster who responded was correct that the bird in question is not a Golden Comet at all as indicated by the white shanks/legs.. in addition to the incorrect feather color pattern for cockerels of that breed. Buff Orp seems about right. :)

Back
Top Bottom