Crabgrass Queen
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
North Georgia
IMG_6623.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

Anyone got any idea?

Last edited:
The head says hen but the body looks like a rooster in the making...I'm not 100% sure so it's a guess.....looks to be one of those wait and see games...a crow or an egg to me....

Australorp?

I am not sure of the breed. The lady that I bought it from has a lot of chickens and so it is probably a cross. I know that one of her main roosters is a RIR. But this one certainly doesn't look like an once of RIR in it!

I am a total newbie, so I know very little. I have a big RIR rooster myself who has great saddle feathers and large waddles. This one has all the sudden started getting red in the comb and waddle and "fluffing" up to one of the smaller hens. I don't know! I haven't gotten any eggs from my four, but I feel that it will be soon. But if I have a roo here, then I OVER PAID!

At 5 months she would be getting red in her comb and wattles if she is a hen...thats just a sign she is of age to start laying...maybe if she is a cross she has taken on the body shape of the RIR rooster... I really can't say hen or roo, just not sure 100%

It does look very much to be a young rooster based on the tail feathers and, I think, the hackles. I can't see that closely to tell for sure. The odd thing is that by 5 months old they are typically much more developed and there would be no question. It could be a late developing rooster though.

Back
Top Bottom