1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought as Mallards, but I'm calling them Ruens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keckels, Apr 9, 2012.

1. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    What's so strange, is I bought them from a breeder about 40 miles away. Finally got a pic of some 3-4 days old
    [​IMG]

And the parent stock. Maybe she meant "domesticated" Mallard?

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They're adorable but I agree look more like rouens

3. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I agree with the Rouens too. From what I read wild mallards have 1 eye stripe, Rouens or "domesticated mallards" have two!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Those ducklings look like they only have one eye stripe. The duckling we bought from TSC I thought was a Mallard until I saw the two eyes stripes, my duckling's head does not look like yours. He had two stripes that you could really see and they didn't really go through the eye like that.

~ Aspen

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    "Domesticated mallard." If you want to get really technical they probably has about 5% rouen in them. Most captive mallards do have some rouen in them. Hence the "domesticated". A "show rouen" baby will have 2 solid eye stripes and generally dont run even with the eye like yours.But even if it does there is another solid line below it. Good luck with them and I hope you enjoy em keckels. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. keckels

May 30, 2011
    Just by size I was sure they were rouens. Doesn't matter to me really, but a year ago I thought I was buying Mallards. I didn't have any photos of when I bought them, so I got the next best thing. They are laying good right now & as it warms up hopefully they'll sit.

7. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Here's a pic of my mallard duckling for comparison. At first I was thinking mallard but then after reading everybody's comments I second guessed myself.. So I'm no help now. LOL.

[​IMG]

8. keckels

May 30, 2011

Yours is even cuter

9. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    No it's not! LOL. I came back to take a fresh look at them and I am going with Rouen. The ones I've seen have a little thicker line under the eye so it threw me off. The hens in the parent stock pic look like Rouens, but then the drake in front looks like my mallard drake. Ya think she could have a little of both in there? :)

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Here's a pic of my Rouens when they were a few days old for comparison.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by