Bought Bobwhites Today!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by StewedMammal, Jan 11, 2014.

1. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Today I bought my first breeder northern bobwhite quail! I bought 20 (9 boys, 11 girls) and have them situated in their breeding pens now. I have 5 trios, 1 pair, 2 extra males (one with a crossed beak) and one other male that flew off into the woods, and now I can't seem to find where he went.

2. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    If the male didn't go far, it'll come back if the others rally call for it (assuming it didn't get taken out by a predator).

3. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    I know he is still out there, but he may not be able to find the others until tomorrow because the wind isn't allowing noise to travel very far right now.

4. dt1958

dt1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    From my experience with Bobwhite quail & what iv'e learned from others here on this site is that they mate 1 on 1 for life, keeping them in trios there might eventually be an aggression problem, they seem to get along a lot better when kept in pairs 1 male to 1 female.

5. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Ok, do you think I could keep 2 pairs in a breeding cage? Or may it be better to have one male for 3 females instead of 2? I see a lot of breeders who use battery breeding pens (what I'm using) have 1 male to 3 females in a breeding cage and have good fertility.

6. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    So I did switch them around. Now it is 3 breeding quads, 2 pairs (in separate sections form each other), and 2 extra males. If you counted them, yes its only 18 now because the one with the crossed beak shot off into the woods during this (which I don't really mind because it wasn't like he was going to be a breeder). I went on youtube and blared a bobwhite comeback call off the porch to see if either would respond. Surely enough both were responding, and a few minutes of calling, one flew right by the pens across the lawn, so I got on my stuff, ran outside and made him fly. He almost ran into the pens but instead he flew into the side of the house, but I couldn't catch him and he went back into the woods... oh and that one was the one I lost yesterday, not the cross-beak. One of my turkeys (who somehow got out of her pen) was freaking out because I guess she was the one who made him fly because she was all puffed up and looking at the spot where he came from. Silly turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by