bought broody....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spoolin, Mar 31, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i went and bought a broody hen yesterday, and put her in there yesterday. but now all she does is eat, and last night she roosted on some branches. so i went and put her in her in the nest and she laid there all night. and this mornong she was eatong and scratching like crazy. what can i do?
    thank you

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Well, I'm no broody expert but my guess would be the stress from the move has broken her broody cycle. Be patient and she'll get broodie again.

By the way, did you not quarantine her before placing her with the rest of the flock? I'm not sure if you mean that she's separated from the rest of your chickens or not.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Well, she is in a new environment now which probably broke her of her broodiness. I'm not sure you can do anything about that. You could try secluding her somewhere on a nest with fake eggs to see if she will sit on them, after a few days and she is still sitting on them then put the fertile eggs under her

4. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    Quote:well she's by her self in a 4x8 divided, and with some 2 month old bantams on the other side in a 8x8 run.

5. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    anyone...

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Bad idea of putting them that close together. They should be seperate for at least 30 days.
    It is possible that she was not broody at all, or that the move broke her.

7. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    how far should they be apart?

8. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    or should i leave the broody all by herself.....

9. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    anyone.....

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

When I bring home new chickens they are kept in the inside backporch where they have no contact with the others.

But since you have already had them together or close I would just watch out for anything out of the ordinary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by