Bought Buff Orpington Chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BYC Man, Mar 22, 2013.

1. BYC Man

BYC Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Not only am I going to have 6 laying hens, (an unknown variety), and one rooster (a red), but, also I bought today 6 Buff Orpington chicks. I will keep these in a medium size plastic container with straw, water, chick starter, and a brooder lamp with a red heat lamp in my house for about 5 weeks? Is that about right?
    I will build a separate hutch for these girls and keep them safe from the other chickens as I have learned that the Buff Orpington is very prone to be picked on because they are very meek spirited and non-aggressive.
    Having a great time getting into this hobby and soon will be posting photos and videos of my BYC adventures.
    Thanks everyone.
    Rick

2. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    your timing sounds about right........
    Wish I had more room to pick a few more up.
    Any pics of the oprs?

3. BYC Man

Mar 11, 2013
    No photos yet. I am at work. I will post a few layer today.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have a buff orpington that rules the roost. She is a fearsome hen...So I wouldn't assume that because of their breed they need to be separated. We got 5 buff orpington chicks on the 6th and they are doing great. We got 5 buff orpingtons, and 6 leghorns, 9 meat birds, 4 pekin and 4 mallard ducks all straight run, and then 2 red pullets and 4 EE pullets. And everyone is doing fine. The pekins and meat birds have an outside brooder. The mallards are in a large toy box with a screen on top and a heat lamp, while the other chicks are in an air conditioner box with a screen and heat light. Everyone is doing great and there have been no issues since bringing everyone home. Everyone's growing well and getting along. The Buffs get to rule the AC box too as they are much larger than everyone else in there.

1 person likes this.
  5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have 3 BOs, One is the undisputed TopHen of the flock. And the other two are definitely NOT at the bottom of the pecking order. I have a couple of what I would call "Meek" birds, but not the Buffs.
    Jack

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. BYC Man

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for the info Jack.

7. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    mine are hitting 5 weeks in a few days and will be going outside next weekend...but are more than ready to right now. im the one that isnt ready...they grew faster than i could work on my weekends!

Dont currently have any BO's but im not saying they arent on my list. i have 15 babies in 2 brooders currently, they are about 2 weeks age diffs. and i have 6 Langshans coming in may sometime! i cant wait for those guys!

Congrats on the chicks, and cant wait to see some pics.

8. BYC Man

Mar 11, 2013
    Buff Orpington chicks sleeping in a row (one in the sleeping group is a red sex link), (the one on the right end is a white leghorn)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  9. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    Darling! Hope they continue growing great!

10. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    they're so cute! [​IMG]

I have two BOS, and one is second in command, and the other one is.....just....uh....strange. She's large boned, got a short neck, and her comb is nearly falling off -_-. I think Eggnog (The second in command,) would be flock leader if it wasn't for my white chicken. They probably consider her some sort of special creature, since she's the only white one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by