We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Bought chicks with hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mvan42, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    I am planning on hatching some chicks starting sometime this next week. And my sone wants a few other breeds we plan on buying from tractor supply.

If I wait to buy the TS chicks until the ones I hatch are hatching or a day old, will it be ok to mix the two groups together in the brooder. I am thinking they will be fine being they are the same age. I wanted to ask to make sure there isn’t anything I should be concerned about by doing this.

Compost King likes this.
  2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    If the chicks are within a week of the same age and you have plenty of space in your brooder, there should be no problem at all.

Erba and Compost King like this.
  3. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Thanks yes they will have plenty of room. Just making sure there wasn’t any concerns of mixing like that. Thanks

Compost King likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I like to make sure that newly hatched chicks are at least 2 or 3 days old and fully mobile before merging with somewhat older chicks.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Go for it, you have a great plan. I cannot guarantee that it will work but it almost always does. It's just that with living animals you don't get guarantees when it comes to behaviors.

The closer they are to the same age the better your chances. I've put incubator-hatched chicks with broody-hatched chicks for her to raise. It works. I don't know why it would be different with mixing incubator and TSC chicks in a brooder. I actually did that once when I had a horrible incubator hatch. I got seven chicks at a feed store to put in the brooder with eight incubator chicks the day I took them out of the incubator. I almost forgot about that.

The only reason I'm hesitant has nothing to do with you mixing TSC chicks and incubator chicks you hatched. It is possible to get a brute. One time I hatched several chicks under a broody hen. The chicks were hatched together, no mixing at all. At two weeks of age one chick turned serial killer. He killed a hatch mate and was on the way to killing another when I stopped him. This was with a broody hen.

The greater the age difference the more likely the brute in some chicks is to come out. Some people on here say they often mix chicks in a brooder with one or even two weeks age difference and don't have problems. Others have dead chicks when they try too much age difference. But you don't need any age difference to have issues.

Don't let me put you off, I think it is a great plan. As long as you minimize age difference it should work well. But like anything else, observe what happens, just in case.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Erba and Compost King like this.
  6. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    When I order chicks I schedule my hatches to time up with them, then the Hatchery moves my order back a week.... they still do fine together.

7. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Thanks everyone, I wanted to make sure they would be ok together. I needed the reassurance that I wasn’t going to mess up.

Compost King likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: