1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought eggs from EBAY!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ILOVELEGHORNS, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Bought me a dozen Exchequer Leghorn eggs from chickeneggs123 off of ebay, they arrived three days after,nearly frozen and they ALL have very viable active embryos! I was only expecting at the most, three to have some developement. What a surprise, the Seller must have some very healthy and genetically strong stock. As a matter of fact, I went on an egg buying binge, bought a dozen plus 1 xtra White leghorn eggs from ebay, Every single one of those are developing as well. Tomorrow AM, I am expecting some White Sultan eggs to come in. (I soooo hope those are viable as well! Is a dream to have those beautiful white puffs in my possession!) This week, I am expecting nearly 2 dozen Americauna eggs I purchased off of ebay too! LOOOOL! I guess thats what happens on a boring Sunday after noon. Have nothing to do, check out ebay, hit the bid button....won four auctions! Just as well, I am starting a hatchery business this spring anyway....but in the dead of winter and I already have so many hatchlings and half grown birds started in my basement....oh my! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like ur having great luck. i bought 49 eggs off ebay. all differnt beeds. only one hatched. and wasnt even the breed i ordered. lol but i still love hatching. i hope u get the chicks u want!! good luck!! post pics when they hatch!!

3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    The cold isn't as bad for the eggs as most would have you believe. I set 71 quail eggs that arrive from Florida and it was 17 degrees. The eggs were severely chilled. had 36 hatch. Broke the rest of the eggs and all had fully formed chicks except 6. I did something wrong but the cold didn't hurt them.

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I've had great luck with eggs off ebay. Only a couple of bad batches out of over 20 or so. There are many decent sellers there - more than bad ones, IMO. I've received over 30 eggs from Chickeneggs123 - 10 blue Marans, 12 sussex and 15 swedish. I had 4 marans hatch (8 made it to lockdown but for whatever reason 4 died); 11 of the sussex hatched and it looks like I have 6 viable, almost-to-lockdown Swedish. Not bad for shipping eggs clear across the country, in the winter! I've had good luck with Gabbard Farms as well; and from Laura at Castle Delight Seramas I had 14 out of 20 seramas hatch (gorgeous birds, btw). In fact it looks like the sellers from the two really bad batches I got are not selling anymore, or at least not very frequently. Now what to do with all these chickens... [​IMG]

5. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Hi boogiedog! You made my day with your comment about having had good luck with some eggs on ebay. I'm doing my first hatch but was unable to source any local eggs (I don't have a roo) and read so many posts about poor hatch rates from shipped eggs, but had no other option. So I bought a variety pack from Gabbard Farms and they went in the bator yesterday. I didn't have much hope of success when I put the eggs in, but you've given me a little glimmer of hope, so thanks!

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:I just hatched 13 out of 20 Lavender Orp Eggs bought from Ebay. All developed except 3 and 4 were fully developed but were upside down in the shell for some reason? I dont know what happened but I have had good luck with shipped eggs.

I bought 2 dozen Barred Rock eggs this spring from Gabbard Farms. I think 13 or 14 hatched out.

Happy Hatching!

Nate

7. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Hi OkChickens, glad to hear you too have had sucess! Lav Orps are so pretty, lucky you! I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

8. ILOVELEGHORNS

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I wish I would have thought of Ebay long before to get some awesome hatching eggs of various high quality, highly sought after, and beautiful breeds. Typically, hatcheries tend to cost an arm and a leg for hatching eggs, and I like to do my hatches and raise the babies in the winter. With the hot and humid summers, bring many pests, parasites and diseases to the babies no matter how sanitary I keep their environment. They tend to be more resiliant to the summer weather as adults. So, hatcheries are not really my thing. They dont sell when I want their chicks and eggs, and the last shipment from a hatchery I ordered from, were White Rocks instead of the Leghorns I ordered. White Rocks are wonderful birds and I am very glad to have them, but that isnt the point.
    So, EBAY IS THE WAAAAY TO GO!!!! I am very impressed with every seller I have purchased from so far, on ebay. All the ones I have purchased from , have done such a maticulous job makeing sure the eggs arrive safely and they go above and beyond expectations. I couldn't be more thankful. I recieved the White Sultan eggs today with marked dates on each egg and the breed name. I was also only possibly expecting no more than one extra....was to recieve 6+...the shipment included a FULL dozen...what a pleasant surprise! Goes to show that some people have very kind hearts and there are many honest people out there.

9. ILOVELEGHORNS

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG] Oh nice, you actually have the Swedish eggs? Those are very beautiful birds! [​IMG] Wish you much luck on the hatch!
    I find that warmer temps causes the embryos to start growing during shipment and causes damage to the fragile growing embryos. Cool down at night, warm up during the day during shipment, then setting them to rest for at least 24 hrs before putting them in the incubator, all this temperature fluctuation must weaken embryos, causing a small percent, if none to hatch. Thats just my thoughts on Summer shipment anyway.

10. ILOVELEGHORNS

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thankyou! I sure will post pics of the hatches! I'm sorry about your luck. Ebay is for sure a gamble regarding eggs, but hey, many of the sellers dont seem to be doing it so much for the money. From one of the hatcheries last fall, I ordered White Leghorn chicks. They ended up sending me the wrong breed too, [​IMG], but im glad they did, because they are such beautiful, sweet, huge birds....they are White Rocks and look nothing like my White Leghorns! Looool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by