1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought from a bird auction for the 1st time... Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AutumnHotChick, Oct 20, 2013.

1. AutumnHotChick

AutumnHotChick Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Dunrobin, On Canada
    I had apparently bought two cochin hens.. They are mixed for sure... But that is ok... But. What do I do about their feet! My chickens are all very healthy! Can I trim the talons... I don't know what to do and feel terrible.
    I will post pictures

2. AutumnHotChick

May 29, 2013
    Dunrobin, On Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes you can trim the toe nails. They have a quick like a dogs. So cut a little at a time and repeat in a week after the quick has receded. I think most would use a dogs nail clipper.

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Also, you are keeping them quarantined, I hope. They look like they may have scaly leg mites. Hope I'm wrong.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. I might skip quarantine if I bought from another backyarder, but would never if from an auction. I'm skeered of auction birds lol.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That looks like scaley leg mites. They need immediate treatment before the toes lose blood circulation and fall off.

7. AutumnHotChick

May 29, 2013
    Dunrobin, On Canada
    The were in the coop today as well free ranging with mine! As soon as I read this, I separated them... Now what! OMG! What a bad purchase.. Too trusting .. I would never sell a person a problem like this:barnie :(

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Covering the entire leg with castor oil will suffocate the mites. Do this after a warm water soak and scrubbing the feet with a brush to remove as much gunk as possible.

I would also treat any hens that were free ranging with them.

Problems like this is why I stay away from poultry auctions. Just be glad that this is a VISIBLE problem. I would worry more about the problems they may have that you CAN'T see.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Oh your poor chicken looks awful, Its sad people will let that happen and then even sell it in that condition. I hope you are able to get her legs back to normal.

Everyone needs to remember it doesnt matter if bought from a very trusted source like a friend or maybe a swap or an auction, no matter the source

QUARENTINE QUARENTINE QUARENTINE. No matter what for at least 30 days, longer if possible.

I would spread DE powder or even something stronger like sevin dust garden powder around the coop and yard. And then keep an eye on everyones legs. Keep your new chickens separate as far from your existing flock as you can for at least 30 days just incase they have other underlying sicknesses you haven't noticed yet.

Keep us posted on the progress on her legs.

10. AutumnHotChick

May 29, 2013
    Dunrobin, On Canada
    Thanks so much for the replies! I am not sure what I will do but I guess treating my flock and yard is the 1st step. Ugh. Thanks again! :th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by