1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought from a breeder as Ameraucana.New pics.Is it the red???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by averytds, Jul 11, 2008.

1. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I really wanted some blue or green eggs and after the chicks we bought didn't make it, I promised I'd find some older birds to buy. I was planning on getting some from the fair. My DS is in 4-H and DHs dog got 1 of his entries. you have to have 3 identical and we only now have 2.

I came across a breeder. She raises and shows Brahmas and is a member of the ABC. She had 3 Ameraucana pullets she said were not suitable for show and 1 buff Brahma she said was.

Well DD claimed the Buff Brahma, so DS still has nothing suitable for fair entry. I told him we'd find 1 for next year and was thinking about ordering from this same breeder. I figured who better but a breeder who shows them. We'll have no probs getting a suitable bird for show from her. She knows just what to look for right?

I think the Ameraucanas are actually Ameraucana/Brahma mix, so EEs. I would have thought the breeder would know the difference. I'm fine with it if they are EEs, although I may be disappointed in their egg colors. I was told they would be blue. But if this is the case, it calls into question the breed of the Brahma as well.

So what are these 4 birds really?

Buff Brahma?

[​IMG]

Ameraucana or EEs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Some of my EEs look very similar, but never saw none with feather feet. Think you'll just have to wait to see what the egg color is. What ticks me off is that hatcheries sell EEs as "ameracaunas". Now that's just plain wrong.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They look like EE mixed with either Cochin or Favorelles

Pic 1,3 and 4 look like Roos.

How old are they?

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    The answer is in your post. [​IMG]
    They are Brahma and EE (or I guess Ameraucana if she really had those) X. They still may have the blue egg gene, or may lay pink eggs. It's be a surprise anyway.

PS the last 4 pics are definitely the EE's and the first one may be a Brahma. I'll let a Brahma expert tell you that, though.

5. averytds

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Oh please no, not roos. They are all supposed to be pullets. Any roos will have to go.

The breeder is a Brahma breeder and a member of the American Brahma Club. She shows Brahmas and wins. The papa of the first one is supposed to be a champion roo. She was branching out to include Ameraucanas. These are all supposed to be from eggs from her flock, hatched and raised by her, not a hatchery. Hatched May 6th, so 9wks old. I thought if you bred them and hatched them you would know what they were.

Lessa was to be DDs fair entry for next year and she was going to help me with a good one for DS next year. If Lessa isn't a Buff Brahma, she's not suitable and DD would be disqualified. She would be devastated. The sooner I know the better so I can scope replacements/breeders at this years fair in 2 wks.

Now I'm worried I've been had. [​IMG] If the last 3 are EEs I'm okay with it and could even chalk it up to her not knowing the exacting distinction between Ameraucanas/EEs. Like how the stores sell the EEs as Ameraucanas, yet that's what they buy them as so of course that's what they sell them as.

Since she's a Brahma breeder coupled with the feathered legs is where I came up with the Ameraucana/Brahma mix which would make them EEs. Apparently English Ameraucanas do have the feathered legs though, so I just don't know. I think only Scratch and Smokey look like they have the muff thingy going on though.

Close up of Lessa. She has feathered legs as well.

[​IMG]

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    If Lessa is 9 weeks old I would say Lessa is a Lestor

7. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    I don't see any green legs in the bunch. All of my Ameracauna/EE have green legs without feathers.

8. averytds

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Crud, why roos? Is there anything I should get closer pics of that might help? DD is going to be crushed if Lessa's a boy.

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I say the first ne is a pure buff brahma. The others made me laugh, they look kinda funny. They look like a brahma x EE cross to me, but the legs are what get me, maybe email the breeder and show her the pics, ask her what happened, lol.

10. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Quote:Well, in the US the standard calls for clean legs for Ameraucanas. I don't know about the British Standard, I admit.

She sold you EEs; I don't know about the Brahma. However, if she knew you were buying birds for show, since she is someone who shows, it seems to me she would understand the concept of breeding to standard. What color were they meant to be? Ameraucana breeders rarely just sell their birds simply as "Ameraucanas." They'll sell you the specific color: black, or blue, or wheaten, or brown red, or lavender or silver... what-have-you.

Still, it's possible this was just a mistake? Sometimes a rooster will get into a breeding pen when you don't know about it. If that's the case, she will doubtless refund your money. Chances are she will refund your money either way; it could be she just didn't know the difference, either, but if she's a reputable breeder and shower she will want to be fair once she learns her mistake (I would hope!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by