1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought hens, they threw a goose in too...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 7, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    We bought a flock of layers this weekend and the family that had them threw their goose in as well. They had a pair of geese, a male and female. A few weeks ago, their dog killed one of them. They were not sure if it was the male or female. I had been preparing for the hens, reading up on here and some books. So now I have this goose, that I have not sexed. I believe it is an Embden. It is solid white, with very beautiful blue eyes. It is not mean, I have yet to hear it hiss but at the same time is not super friendly either. We bought it a little wading pool and it seems to love that as well as the mist from the hose. It is housed right next to the chicken, but seems to be aggressive with them if they are in the same yard.

I am concerned that it is lonely. Will I be better off to find goose for it? Should it be the same breed, or will any goose do as far as company??? I recall them saying that it is 2-3 years old. Oh and by the way...we named it Dr. Phil. lol Guess if it turns out to be a girl it will Dr. Philamina.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions. I do feel that if we wouldn't have taken him with us when we took the chicks they were going to slaughter him. [​IMG]

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Geese love company, and as your new goose was used to having a mate/companion, it probably feels a bit lost now.

I don't have any personal experience regarding bringing geese together, but I've read a lot about it.

I think it would accept almost any kind of goose, but probably not types like Nene or Egyptian geese; they're very different from the Greylag and Chinese types. The most sure-fire way of getting a goose to accept a new mate is getting a gosling for it. Then its parental instincts will take over, and next year they'll be adults together. But chances are that it will accept a grown goose as well.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I agree, with either a adult or a half grown gosling I would confine it where the old goose could visit through the fence. You will soon be able to tell if they are attracted to each other. The old goose may try to defend it's territory at first but since the new goose cannot be driven off they are likely to come to accept each other or better yet be atracted to each other. Then comes the big day when the fence is removed...~gd

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Judging by the behavior, it sounds like you got the goose (female). You can get an adult gander or a baby gander, I wouldn't get an older gosling (looks full-grown but only a few months old) because she most likely will pick on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by