Bought house with chicken stuff here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mfd1428, Oct 24, 2016.

1. mfd1428

mfd1428 Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Caldwell tx
    Hi I just to bought a house with 5 coops on the place. I took down 4 of them and keeping one for now. A good friend of mine gave me 2 hens and a rooster. Now I found a few things to hatch chick's. But not sure what they are or if I even want to keep this one incubator, holds to many.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mfd1428, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard. Sounds like a good deal to me - the necessary equipment was on the premises - all you had to do was supply the chickens! If you want to acquire some great chicken knowledge, visit the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It will quickly get you up to speed on pretty much everything you need to know regarding chicken rearing. You can post pics of the incubating equipment on this forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs The folks there can tell you what you have and what you need.
    Finally, if you want to chat with fellow Lone Stars, find the TX state thread (there may be more than one) in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes to you and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC :)

4. mfd1428

mfd1428 Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Caldwell tx
    Thanks. It was all here. I have no knowledge on chickens. I just heard this was a great site for help

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Wow, that's quite the incubator! If you are interested in hatching, you would probably do better to start with a small incubator - a 7, 10, or 20 egg option might be good for you. You might consider selling this one. In working condition, they can be worth a decent amount of money.

You will definitely want to get more hens. To prevent overmating, the bare minimum ratio is five hens per cock, but eight to ten is far preferable.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. mfd1428

mfd1428 Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Caldwell tx
    Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. So I would be interested in selling this one

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    :welcome

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may also have been able to sell the other coops - though if you get addicted to chickens you will be glad you have them.

9. mfd1428

mfd1428 Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Caldwell tx
    Oh I bet that's what my friends that are talking me into it, say

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by